Engineers’ Choice Awards: Official rules
Official rules for the 2018 Engineers’ Choice Awards program, including how to enter, voting eligibility, and program schedule.
Entry deadline: Friday, Aug. 4, 2017 (5 p.m. CT)
About the Engineers’ Choice Awards program
Control Engineering’s Engineers’ Choice Awards (ECA) program is the premier award for new products in the automation, control, and instrumentation technology markets. The annual reader-choice program was created to provide Control Engineering’s readers with information about the top new product in their fields. 2018 will mark 31 years of the ECA program.
2018 Engineers’ Choice Awards program schedule
- March 1, 2017: Entries open
- Aug. 4, 2017: Entry deadline
- Aug. 18, 2017: Finalists notified via email regarding status
- Oct. 12, 2017: Finalists announced and voting begins
- Finalists listed in the October 2017 issue of Control Engineering
- Dec. 19, 2017: Voting closes
- Dec. 28, 2017: Winners and Honorable Mentions notified via email regarding status
- Feb. 8, 2018: Winners and Honorable Mentions announced
- Winners featured in the February 2018 issue of Control Engineering
All entries must be submitted through the New Products for Engineers database. New Products for Engineers is a unique SaaS platform that provides valuable services to engineering users who are interested in discovering new products, and vendors who would like to promote their new products to engineers. Learn more.
- Create a free Manufacturer profile in the New Products for Engineers database.
- Access New Products for Engineers: https://gspplatform.cfemedia.com/pe/
- Click "Register"
- Click “Manufacturer”
- Complete Company Information, Account Information, and Contact Information.
- Upload product information to your Manufacturer profile. There is no limit to the number of products you can upload to your profile or enter into the awards programs.
- When logged into your Manufacturer profile, click on the “Products” section and follow the instructions to entering a product.
- Select from your list of uploaded products which one(s) you’d like to enter into this awards program.
- When logged into your Manufacturer profile, click on the “Awards” section and choose “Control Engineering 2018 Engineers' Choice Awards.” Follow the instructions.
- After selecting your products you will be sent to a payment page. The entry fee is $495.00 per product. Without the entry fee being paid your product(s) will not be considered for the program. See Entry fee for more information.
All information requested must be provided. An incomplete form or a form providing misleading or false information will result in disqualification. The entry process allows for a user to submit multiple products at once; there is no limit on how many products one user/company may enter. An authorized representative of the manufacturer must complete the entry form verifying all information. Entries must be submitted on behalf of the original manufacturer or sole supplier.
Products entered into the 2018 ECA program must meet the following criteria:
- Products must have been made first available for purchase in the North American market between Nov. 1, 2016, and Oct. 31, 2017.
- If the entry is a new version of a previously available product, the entry must represent a major modification or redesign of the product. New versions of software must offer new capabilities and significant enhancements.
- Products must be available for purchase in the United States.
- All information fields on the entry form are completed and accurate regarding the product and the manufacturer.
The processing fee (i.e. entry fee) for the 2018 ECA program is $495.00 per product entered. If payment is not received, entry will be void. Only credit card payments are accepted; Control Engineering will not invoice or bill entrants for the ECA program. If you experience an issue when trying to pay the fee online, call Amanda Pelliccione to submit payment over the phone. Amanda can be reached at 860-432-4767, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. A receipt will be automatically sent to the email address provided when logging into the website immediately after payment has been captured. If payment is not received by Friday, Aug. 11, 2017, entry will be null and void. No refunds will be issued; no exceptions.
All entries that meet the eligibility requirements are named Finalists. Finalists receive an official Finalist logo to use in marketing efforts promoting their status to customers. Finalists are listed in the October 2017 issue of Control Engineering and on the website mid-October. The Finalist listing remains on the website indefinitely.
The descriptions published for each Finalist are edited by Control Engineering. Descriptions are based upon the description and summary provided with each product. Reviews of descriptions are not available to entry contacts or manufacturers. After Oct. 12, 2017, descriptions cannot be edited, even online. The website URL included with a Finalist description will direct readers to the manufacturer’s website, not to the product listed on the manufacturer’s website directly.
Based on the voting results (see Voting for more information), one Grand Winner will be named (the product that receives the most votes overall) and each category will have a declared Winner and Honorable Mention. In the event of a tie, it is possible for more than one Winner and/or Honorable Mention to be awarded in a category. The Grand Winner receives an official Grand Winner logo to use in marketing efforts promoting their status; all category Winners receive an official Winner logo to use in marketing efforts promoting their status; all Honorable Mentions receive an official Honorable Mention logo to use in marketing efforts promoting their status. The Grand Winner, category Winners, and Honorable Mentions are featured in the February 2018 issue of Control Engineering and on the website mid-February. The Grand Winner, category Winners, and Honorable Mention listings remain on the website indefinitely.
The descriptions published in the February 2018 issue are written/edited/copy edited by Control Engineering. Descriptions are based upon the description, summary, and press release provided with each product. Reviews of descriptions are not available to entry contacts or manufacturers. After Feb. 8, 2018, descriptions cannot be edited, even online. The website URL included with a product description will direct readers to the manufacturer’s website, not to the product listed on the manufacturer’s website directly.
Voting is only open to qualified subscribers of Control Engineering products (magazine—print or digital, e-newsletters, white papers, etc.). Qualified subscribers are encouraged to vote in as many categories for which they are qualified based on technological advancement, service to the industry, and market impact. One (1) ballot per qualified subscriber will be accepted; multiple ballots from the same qualified subscriber will be invalid. Ballots received from non-qualified subscribers will be invalid. Employees of product manufacturers with a finalist in the current program and their properties, agencies, vendors, and representatives are not eligible to vote; hence any votes received by these parties will not be counted toward the final tally.
Questions regarding the 2018 ECA program should be directed to Amanda Pelliccione, Project Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-432-4767, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.