Leaders Under 40: Official Rules
Updated January 7, 2013.
Void where prohibited.
1. Sponsor: The sponsor of the Control Engineering 40 Under 40 program is CFE Media LLC, 1111 W. 22nd Street, Suite 250, Oak Brook, IL 60523.
2. How to enter: Entries must be submitted via web form provided; No email submissions will be accepted; There is no fee to enter this program.
- Official rules are subject to change at any time by CFE Media.
- Limit one entry per person. No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected Entries.
- Information submitted should be true.
- Any submission may be published by CFE Media according to terms below;
- Upon submission, all entries are final;
- Prior winners are not eligible. Prior entrants who did not win are eligible if they meet other criteria here;
- Nominees must be 18 years of age or older and under 40 years of age (as of Nov. 1, 2013);
- Employees, and members of their immediate families living in the same household, of Sponsor or its parents, subsidiaries or affiliates or their advertising, promotion and production agencies, are not eligible to enter.
- Online nominations must be completed as required and submitted by noon (U.S. Central time) on August 1, 2013.
- If 40 entries worthy of winning aren’t received by August 1, fewer winners may be named or the deadline may be extended, at discretion of sponsor.
- Entrants must have control engineering products or systems purchase or specification responsibilities from among the following:
- Data Acquisition Equipment, Recorders or Plotters
- Controllers or Regulators
- HMI Equipment
- Control Systems (DCS, PC-based)
- Embedded Systems
- Software (HMI, SCADA, MES, Batch, Historian, Design, Other)
- Analytical Instruments, Test or Calibration Equipment
- Process Sensors or Transmitters (incl. Flow, Pressure, Temperature, Level)
- Valves, Actuators or Positioners
- Discrete Sensors (incl. Proximity, Photoelectric)
- Vision Systems
- Motion Control Systems (incl. Robotics)
- Motors or Drives (incl. Starters, Protection Devices)
- Control Panels, Alarms or Annunciators
- I/O Products or Systems
- Networking, Connectors, Wire or Cable
- Relays, Switches or Timers
- Power Systems or Supplies
- Safety for Process or Machine Systems
- Wireless, RFID
4. Judging: The decision of Sponsor as to the selection of winners, and in regard to all matters relating to this contest, shall be final. Winners will be notified by email on or before Aug. 30, 2013;
- Winners are asked to submit a publishable image of themselves.
- CFE Media, assumes the right to publish, perform, display, digitize, transmit, reproduce and, as reasonably required for layout purposes, modify and reformat, in all formats and media now known or hereafter developed throughout the universe in perpetuity for any submitted photography, illustrations, graphics, other images, and related text.
- Winners will receive recognition from Control Engineering magazine and will be announced in the print and online editions of the magazine as well as in Control Engineering newsletters. Winners grant to Sponsor the right to use his or her Entry, name, likeness, hometown, and biographical information in advertising and promotion in all media without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. All expenses, including taxes, if any, related to winning are the sole responsibility of the winner. Winner releases Sponsor, affiliates, suppliers, and agents from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, cost or expense, including without limitation property damages, personal injury and/or death, arising out of participation in this Contest.
- Entries: By entering, each entrant agrees to the rules. Entrant agrees to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Sponsor and its affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents against any claims, losses or expenses (including, without limitation, legal fees) arising out of or related to the submission or any breach by Entrant of any of its representations, warranties or obligations set forth in these rules.
6. Publishing Rights: The entrant grants CFE (a) a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free right and license to use the Work submitted, including all copyrights and other intellectual property rights therein and all renewals and extensions thereof, in all formats and media, whether now known or hereafter developed, including without limitation to publish, display, perform, distribute, reproduce, digitize, transmit, translate, modify and create derivative works of the Work for all or any purposes including but not limited to advertising and promotion; and (b) the right to assign or sublicense all or any of the foregoing rights. You agree that the foregoing license shall be exclusive until six (6) months following the publication of the Work by CFE and non-exclusive thereafter. You also hereby grant CFE (a) a non-exclusive worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free right and license in each work of authorship (including accompanying graphics, photographs and text) submitted by you to CFE for publication prior to the Term , including all copyrights and other intellectual property rights therein and all renewals and extensions thereof, in all formats and media, whether now known or hereafter developed, including without limitation to publish, display, perform, distribute, reproduce, digitize, transmit, translate, modify and create derivative works of each such work for all or any purposes including but not limited to advertising and promotion; and (b) the right to assign or sublicense all or any of such rights.
You further grant CFE the right to use your name, likeness and/or biographical information in connection with the above-licensed Works.
In return for the rights granted herein, CFE agrees to consider your Works for publication and, if published, to attribute authorship of the Works to you. You acknowledge and agree that you are not entitled to receive, and hereby waive in any event, any employee benefits offered to employees of CFE based on your engagement as an independent contractor.
You represent and warrant that (a) each Work (i) is your original work, (ii) has not been, and will not be, published prior to publication by CFE, (iii) has not been assigned, licensed or otherwise encumbered, (iv) is not libelous or defamatory and (v) does not violate any rights, including copyrights and rights of privacy or publicity, of any third party, and (b) you have obtained, or prior to delivery of each Work will obtain, all necessary releases, waivers and assignments, including those relating to models, likenesses and privacy, so that CFE may freely exploit the Works without further obligation or payment to any person or entity.
7. Name of Winners, Inquiries: For inquiries about the Contest or the names of the winners, contact Amanda McLeman at 630-571-4070 ext. 2209 or amcleman(at)cfemedia.com.
Go to the Control Engineering Leaders Under 40 Program page.
Go to the Control Engineering Leaders Under 40 Program FAQs page.