Universal light curtain, light grid
ABB Jokab Safety Focus II Light Curtains and Light Grids offer complete range of features in one low cost package. One curtain or grid model works for all applications, eliminating the need to stock multiple versions for varying machine safety requirements.
ABB Jokab Safety, a supplier of machine safety equipment, introduced Focus II Light Curtains and Light Grids, an updated version of the Focus product line designed to offer the complete range of features in one low cost package.
One Focus II Light Curtain or Light Grid model can be used for all applications, eliminating the need to order or stock a multiple versions for varying machine safety requirements.
Light curtains and grids protect personnel from potentially hazardous machinery, robots or automated systems by creating a protection field with infrared beams, which, if interrupted, trigger a safety mechanism that immediately stops the machinery. Light curtains are typically used for inner area protection closer to machinery, with multiple beams placed between 14 mm and 30 mm apart. Light grids are for protecting areas further away from machinery, consisting of two to four beams placed between 200 mm and 500 mm apart. Both Focus II Light Curtains and Light Grids meet the highest level of safety and have received all necessary national and international approvals.
Focus II Light Curtains and Light Grids consist of two optical units, a transmitter and a receiver, which are continuously scanned, quickly detecting any objects that break the optical barrier. If any light beam is interrupted, the dangerous machine movement is stopped by the outputs from the light curtain. The reaction time for Focus II varies from 14ms to 45ms, depending on the number of beams in the light curtain or grid. Five LEDs in the receiver and the two in the transmitter show the status of the light curtain.
Additional features include:
- Quick connects and custom adjustable brackets for unsurpassed ease of installation.
- Flexible, built-in muting capabilities with inputs for partial or complete muting.
- A muting override function which makes it possible to bypass the light curtain—i.e. activate the outputs if a machine start is necessary even if one or more light beams are interrupted.
- Floating blanking which makes it possible to disconnect a defined number of beams from the safety field, enabling an object to cross the optical barrier without the safety function being triggered.
With the introduction of the Focus II Light Curtains and Light Grids, manufacturing has been moved to the USA (Westland, MI), enabling JOKAB to lower list prices and deliver product from stock in five days.
The light curtains light grids are ideal for a variety of applications including:
- Mechanical and hydraulic power presses
- Molding presses
- Stamping, riveting and eyelet operations
- Automated machinery and manufacturing cells
- Robotic cells
- Material handling equipment
- Printing presses
- Welding equipment
- Machining centers
- Packaging machinery
- Edited by Mark T. Hoske, content manager, CFE Media, Control Engineering, and Plant Engineering, email@example.com.
ABB Jokab Safety, ABB Robotics, and other company products will be shown at Pack Expo 2013, Las Vegas.