Multipurpose wireless gateway available on Sprint network
Sierra Wireless joining with Sprint's network for the Airlink GX400 is designed to make cellular communications easier for transportation, industrial machine-to-machine (M2M) and enterprise applications
Sierra Wireless announced the AirLink GX400 multipurpose wireless gateway is now available for use on the nationwide Sprint 3G network. Designed for versatility and powered by ALEOS embedded intelligence, the AirLink GX400 reportedly offers more than 100 configuration options and has a variety of hardware interfaces to suit a wide range of transportation, industrial machine-to-machine (M2M), and enterprise applications. This range of software and hardware configuration options allows system integrators to standardize on a single gateway platform to serve the needs of all of their customers. The AirLink GX400 gateway apparently makes deploying cellular M2M solutions faster, easier, and less expensive for product and application developers, system integrators, service providers, and end users.
New features for the GX400 include increased processing power to support the higher data traffic that comes with high-bandwidth applications. Other hardware enhancements include increased ruggedness (MIL-STD 810-F, IP64, Class I Div 2), and GPS and associated location-based services. To further enhance its versatility, the AirLink GX400 has an expansion slot that will allow rapid deployment of new features without extensive product development and regulatory approval. New software features include enhanced low-power mode and data usage tracking.
Product and application developers can take advantage of a vast library of device and networking configuration options to customize the AirLink GX400 to their solutions. Service providers benefit from the remote monitoring and management features, which reduce truck rolls and optimize network availability. Enterprises and government end users can standardize on the AirLink GX400 to meet all their mobile network needs, reducing operations and support complexity and costs.
In addition to the hardware and embedded ALEOS feature enhancements, the AirLink GX400 offers cloud-based, remote device management using Sierra Wireless’ AirLink Management Services. Based on the AirVantage Platform, AirLink Management Services allows customers to monitor and control an entire deployment of AirLink devices with a fully customizable dashboard, to create groups based on device type or application, and to apply actions based on groupings. They can also reportedly manage devices with either public or private IP domains. These features allow customers to reduce their maintenance costs and drive down the overall cost of ownership. Large and small deployments can take advantage of all of these configuration and management features from any location with Internet access.
“The AirLink GX400 and AirLink Management Services allow even small organizations and businesses to easily set up wireless communications systems for applications like fleet management, business continuity, security, and remote monitoring,” said Emmanuel Walckenaer, Senior Vice President, Solutions and Services for Sierra Wireless. “We are pleased to now be able to offer the AirLink GX400 gateway to Sprint customers.”
Wayne Ward, Vice President of Emerging Solutions, Sprint, added, “Sprint’s open approach to expanding the M2M ecosystem, flexible and robust networks, and proven ability to execute solutions helps partners and customers benefit from M2M opportunities. We are focused on streamlining the process of deploying M2M solutions, and providing an extensive M2M ecosystem to provide our customers with a broad selection of applications and expertise to support their specific objectives. Partners like Sierra Wireless are significant contributors to this M2M ecosystem, helping us ensure we can meet a wide range of vertical market needs.”
Sierra Wireless AirLink GX Series of Intelligent Gateways
Flexible and powerful enough to meet the needs of a wide range of applications in the transportation, industrial M2M and enterprise markets, the Sierra Wireless AirLink GX Series makes solution deployment faster, easier, and less expensive for mobile system operators, OEMs, application service providers and end customers. Key features in the AirLink GX400 include:
- Rugged hardware design—Engineered and verified to comply with industry and wireless requirements including Mil-STD 810-F, IEC60068, IP64, Class 1 Div 2, and e-Mark.
- High processing performance—ARM 11-class microprocessor architecture with high-capacity DDR memory provides five times more processing power than previous AirLink products for high-bandwidth applications.
- Extensibility—Expansion slot makes it easy to add new features, reducing solution development time and cost.
- Security—Supports security protocols for integration in IPsec-compliant VPNs and PCI-compliant solutions.
- ALEOS embedded intelligence—Provides a highly configurable platform and comprehensive remote management capabilities for over-the-air firmware upgrades, events reporting, and much more. Features such as GPS location-based reporting, reporting intervals, and serial protocols can be configured either locally or over the air.
- Rules Engine—User-configurable rules engine lets application developers push decision making to the device level, reducing communications costs for their applications.
- AirLink Management Services—Cloud-based remote management for GX Series can also be employed to manage existing AirLink 2G and 3G devices, easing integration and deployment into existing systems.
Wireless network articles and tutorials...