EC: AC500-S Safety PLC
Safety - Machine safety: The AC500-S Safety PLC from ABB is a safety programmable logic controller used in machinery automation involving functional safety. This is a Control Engineering 2014 Engineers’ Choice finalist.
The AC500-S Safety PLC has a number of unique features like:
- Structured text (ST) programming as per IEC 61131-3 in safety applications in addition to ladder diagram (LD), function block diagram (FBD).
- Trigonometric functions like COS, SIN, TAN, ASIN, ACOS, LOG etc. support easy implementation of complex kinematic tasks in safety applications, like robot collision detection, etc.
- ST editor allows extensive and easy programming of customized safety libraries.
- Custom made TÜV certified safety code analyzer tool (SCA) for ensuring well-structured safety program code.
- Safety CPU can be configured to work even if the non-safety CPU is in STOP or maintenance mode or during online changes. Helpful in Robotic cells during maintenance.
- Address switch on the safety CPU allows implementing flexible configuration concept in machines which means one standard safety template program for different machine configuration types.
- Direct data mapping and easy data exchange between safety and non-safety CPU supported.
- Extreme condition (XC) version are available (-40 to 70 C) for harsh environments.
- Separate safety-CPU ensures free choice of non-safety CPU performance. Non-safety CPU supports communication possibilities like Ethernet, Modbus, CAN Open, EtherCAT, PROFIBUS, PROFINET, ASCII, FTP etc.
- Name setting of PROFINET slave station by rotary switches eliminate the need of engineering station during module replacement for maintenance purpose.
- Standard SD card could be used to clone both safety and non-safety program and configuration for quick replication on other machines.
- Maximum cable length for connected I/O signals could go up to 1,000 m (shielded cable) or 600 m (unshielded cable) including the test pulse for S-DIs.
- Fool-proof protection implemented in all safety I/O modules like prevention against reverse signal or power supply polarity, wrong module, placement, short circuit, etc.
- Extensive user management to protect the program and configuration data with many levels of password protection.
ABB Automation Products GmbH