Motor design software suite
CD-Adapco Speed 2012 software design suite covers brushless permanent magnet (PM) motors, induction motors, DC brush motors, DC and AC wound field motors, and switched reluctance motors.
The CD-Adapco Speed 2012 software design suite release consisting of the following five main machine programs:
1. PC-BDC Brushless PM Motors (issue 9.1)
2. PC-IMD Induction Motors (issue 4.2)
3. PC-DCM DC Brush Motors (issue 3.9)
4. PC-WFC DC and AC Wound Field Motors (issue 2.7)
5. PC-SRD Switched Reluctance Motors (issue 8.8)
These are available with a floating license system using FlexLM and a link that was established to Star-CCM+ (the CFD program of CD-adapco) to exchange the data needed from Speed (mainly geometry and losses) to Star-CCM+ to setup the CFD 3D model and run an advanced thermal calculation of the electrical machine (see three images).
Each Speed program is intended for designing and calculating a wide range of electro-magnetic machine performances. The design processes used in all Speed programs are fast and efficient. Templates are used to establish the machine’s dimensions, to assist in laying out the winding, to select the desired materials, and to compute the machine’s performance at one operating point, or over a whole speed/torque range. A strong link to Speed’s own finite element analysis (FEA) program PC-FEA gives accuracy, a high confidence level and offers the analysis of fine details or even solve difficult problems, the company said.
Also, scripting facilities (via ActiveX) ease and widen the use of the Speed software.
- Edited by Mark T. Hoske, content manager, CFE Media, Control Engineering, and Plant Engineering, firstname.lastname@example.org.