Servo drive supports multiple motion buses
The Kollmorgen AKD servo drive is able to support the functionality of the base analog drive, indexing drive, CANopen drive, and EtherCAT drive.
Kollmorgen’s AKD servo drives now support the functionality of the base analog drive, indexing drive, CANopen drive and EtherCAT drive all from a single drive SKU. This enables printing, packaging, converting, medical and other machine builders to benefit from more efficient bench testing and prototyping, while enabling them to smoothly transition from one bus type to another.
AKD servo drives are also uniquely capable of supporting a variety of feedback devices and Ethernet motion buses from the base hardware, without the need for any separate option cards. Currently supported feedback devices include Smart Feedback Devices (SFD), Endat, BiSS, Analog Sine/Cos encoders, incremental encoders, Hiperface and resolvers. In addition to EtherCAT and CANopen motion buses, the AKD supports SynqNet, Profinet, EtherNet/IP and Modbus/TCP.
As a result, machine builders are able to standardize on a single drive family with a common Graphical User Interface (GUI) across the power range to deliver optimized machine performance, throughput and accuracy across multiple applications, while minimizing engineering time and costs associated with stocking, understanding and programming multiple types of drives.
Additional features and benefits include:
- 120/240 V ac or 480 V ac operation, with a power range of 3 to 24 A rms continuous current, 9 to 48 A rms peak
- Auto-tuner can help overcome less-than-perfect mechanical designs and help machine builders solve even the most challenging scenarios by compensating for compliant transmissions and couplings that would otherwise rob a machine of its intended performance
- With up to 27-bit resolution, the AKD delivers the industry’s lowest noise characteristics for improved machine precision
- Powerful dual processor system executes industry-leading servo algorithms with high resolution for very fast settling times
- Easy-to-use GUI features a six-channel real-time software oscilloscope for fast commissioning and diagnosis
AKD servo drives are rated for operation in ambient temperatures ranging from 0 C to 40 C (up to 55 C with de-rating), and boast a robust MTBF of nearly 660,000 hours. They conform to Category 3/Sil2 and RoHS standards, meet the insulation requirements of IEC60601, are UL listed and carry the CE mark.
- Edited by Chris Vavra, Control Engineering, www.controleng.com