Digital manufacturing tips from Sogeti and Dassault Systemes
Manufacturers are under intense pressure to ensure high quality while reducing costs, simulations are becoming more and more important. Below are tips from Sogeti and Dassault Systemes on digital manufacturing.
Sogeti and Dassault Systemes partner to author Digital Manufacturing Book
The Sogeti Group, provider of technology consulting services includingengineering services and PLM solutions, announced on Dec. 16 the release of a bookabout increasing profits through digital manufacturing and simulation. Thebook is a joint collaboration between Sogeti and Dassault Systemes(Euronext Paris: #13065, DSY.PA), provider of 3D and Product LifecycleManagement (PLM) solutions. In five chapters, this book explains how aseamlessly integrated fabric of information technology, digitalmanufacturing, simulation, robotics and physical production is nolonger just an idea, but a reality for real profit. For moreinformation about this digital manufacturing book, including a forwardfrom each company, go here: www.virtual-real.com.
Here's advice on how digital manufacturing and simulation can help manufacturers based on a new book announced today from Sogeti and Dassault Systemes. Digital manufacturing is the capability to define and simulate exactly how a product will be built in a global collaborative environment. Manufacturers should:
- From virtual concept to real profit, develop a roadmap on how to adapt to a rapidly changing business environment using product lifecycle management technologies;
- Use challenges such as global competition and green business as an opportunity to rethink the way that products are developed and manufactured;
- Innovate at the technology level and at every aspect of the product development cycle;
- Improve productivity by focusing on efficient planning and controls;
- Focus more on effective means to reduce manufacturing costs and to improve activity planning;
- Define and simulate exactly how a product will be built in a global collaborative environment;
- Validate and optimize manufacturing processes with simulation; and
- Apply simulation to correct and optimize business operations morequickly, supported by modern mathematics, information technology andcomputer graphics to create a lifelike simulation experience.
- Evolve from 2-D representation via 3-D and so-called "digitalmock-up" using an integrated suite of tools to define and simulate allmanufacturing operations and resources in the context of a product anda production plant.
"This book covers exciting possibilities and the accompanying challenges offered by modern digital manufacturing and simulation to efficiently and effectively conduct profitable business in ways that, even a few years ago, could only have been dreamt of. In the near future, lifelike experience and extended digital manufacturing will be at the very heart of any state-of-the-art manufacturing company," said Philippe Charles, CEO DELMIA, Dassault Systemes.
Dominique Lafond, CEO, Sogeti High Tech, said, "Present-day economic reality forces organizations to take a hard look at their strategies and practices of manufacturing. Modern digital manufacturing and simulation offer a potential order of magnitude increase in both efficiency and innovation. However, to deliver on this promise barriers must be overcome. This book addresses challenges and benefits, and lays out the vision of a state-of-the-art manufacturing environment."
Sogeti is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cap Gemini S.A., listed on the Paris Stock Exchange. Dassault Systemes' shares are listed on Euronext Paris (#13065, DSY.PA) and Dassault Systemes' ADRs may be traded on the US Over-The-Counter (OTC) market (DASTY).
Read other digital manufacturing tips from MBT in:
- Edited by Mark T. Hoske, online products editor, Manufacturing Business Technology , MBT www.mbtmag.com