EC: AC500-S Safety PLC
Safety - Machine safety: The AC500-S Safety PLC from ABB is a safety programmable logic controller used in machinery automation involving functional safety. This is a Control Engineering 2014 Engineers’ Choice honorable mention.
The AC500-S Safety PLC has a number of unique features like:
- Structured text (ST) programming as per IEC 61131-3 in safety applications in addition to ladder diagram (LD), function block diagram (FBD).
- Trigonometric functions like COS, SIN, TAN, ASIN, ACOS, LOG etc. support easy implementation of complex kinematic tasks in safety applications, like robot collision detection, etc.
- ST editor allows extensive and easy programming of customized safety libraries.
- Custom made TÜV certified safety code analyzer tool (SCA) for ensuring well-structured safety program code.
- Safety CPU can be configured to work even if the non-safety CPU is in STOP or maintenance mode or during online changes. Helpful in Robotic cells during maintenance.
- Address switch on the safety CPU allows implementing flexible configuration concept in machines which means one standard safety template program for different machine configuration types.
- Direct data mapping and easy data exchange between safety and non-safety CPU supported.
- Extreme condition (XC) version are available (-40 to 70 C) for harsh environments.
- Separate safety-CPU ensures free choice of non-safety CPU performance. Non-safety CPU supports communication possibilities like Ethernet, Modbus, CAN Open, EtherCAT, PROFIBUS, PROFINET, ASCII, FTP etc.
- Name setting of PROFINET slave station by rotary switches eliminate the need of engineering station during module replacement for maintenance purpose.
- Standard SD card could be used to clone both safety and non-safety program and configuration for quick replication on other machines.
- Maximum cable length for connected I/O signals could go up to 1,000 m (shielded cable) or 600 m (unshielded cable) including the test pulse for S-DIs.
- Fool-proof protection implemented in all safety I/O modules like prevention against reverse signal or power supply polarity, wrong module, placement, short circuit, etc.
- Extensive user management to protect the program and configuration data with many levels of password protection.
ABB Automation Products GmbH
Case Study Database
Get more exposure for your case study by uploading it to the Control Engineering case study database, where end-users can identify relevant solutions and explore what the experts are doing to effectively implement a variety of technology and productivity related projects.
These case studies provide examples of how knowledgeable solution providers have used technology, processes and people to create effective and successful implementations in real-world situations. Case studies can be completed by filling out a simple online form where you can outline the project title, abstract, and full story in 1500 words or less; upload photos, videos and a logo.
Click here to visit the Case Study Database and upload your case study.