EC: AC500-S Safety PLC
Safety - Machine safety: The AC500-S Safety PLC from ABB is a safety programmable logic controller used in machinery automation involving functional safety. This is a Control Engineering 2014 Engineers’ Choice honorable mention.
The AC500-S Safety PLC has a number of unique features like:
- Structured text (ST) programming as per IEC 61131-3 in safety applications in addition to ladder diagram (LD), function block diagram (FBD).
- Trigonometric functions like COS, SIN, TAN, ASIN, ACOS, LOG etc. support easy implementation of complex kinematic tasks in safety applications, like robot collision detection, etc.
- ST editor allows extensive and easy programming of customized safety libraries.
- Custom made TÜV certified safety code analyzer tool (SCA) for ensuring well-structured safety program code.
- Safety CPU can be configured to work even if the non-safety CPU is in STOP or maintenance mode or during online changes. Helpful in Robotic cells during maintenance.
- Address switch on the safety CPU allows implementing flexible configuration concept in machines which means one standard safety template program for different machine configuration types.
- Direct data mapping and easy data exchange between safety and non-safety CPU supported.
- Extreme condition (XC) version are available (-40 to 70 C) for harsh environments.
- Separate safety-CPU ensures free choice of non-safety CPU performance. Non-safety CPU supports communication possibilities like Ethernet, Modbus, CAN Open, EtherCAT, PROFIBUS, PROFINET, ASCII, FTP etc.
- Name setting of PROFINET slave station by rotary switches eliminate the need of engineering station during module replacement for maintenance purpose.
- Standard SD card could be used to clone both safety and non-safety program and configuration for quick replication on other machines.
- Maximum cable length for connected I/O signals could go up to 1,000 m (shielded cable) or 600 m (unshielded cable) including the test pulse for S-DIs.
- Fool-proof protection implemented in all safety I/O modules like prevention against reverse signal or power supply polarity, wrong module, placement, short circuit, etc.
- Extensive user management to protect the program and configuration data with many levels of password protection.
ABB Automation Products GmbH
The Engineers' Choice Awards highlight some of the best new control, instrumentation and automation products as chosen by...
The System Integrator Giants program lists the top 100 system integrators among companies listed in CFE Media's Global System Integrator Database.
This eGuide illustrates solutions, applications and benefits of machine vision systems.
Learn how to increase device reliability in harsh environments and decrease unplanned system downtime.
Intelligent, efficient PLC programming: Cost-saving programming languages are available now; Automation system upgrades; Help from the cloud; Improving flow control; System integration tips
Smarter machines require smarter systems; Fixing PID, part 3; Process safety; Hardware and software integration; Legalities: Integrated lean project delivery
PLCs, robots, and the quest for a single controller; how OEE is key to automation solutions.
This article collection contains several articles on improving the use of PID.
Special report: U.S. natural gas; LNG transport technologies evolve to meet market demand; Understanding new methane regulations; Predictive maintenance for gas pipeline compressors
Cyber security cost-efficient for industrial control systems; Extracting full value from operational data; Managing cyber security risks