EC: AC500-S Safety PLC
Safety - Machine safety: The AC500-S Safety PLC from ABB is a safety programmable logic controller used in machinery automation involving functional safety. This is a Control Engineering 2014 Engineers’ Choice honorable mention.
The AC500-S Safety PLC has a number of unique features like:
- Structured text (ST) programming as per IEC 61131-3 in safety applications in addition to ladder diagram (LD), function block diagram (FBD).
- Trigonometric functions like COS, SIN, TAN, ASIN, ACOS, LOG etc. support easy implementation of complex kinematic tasks in safety applications, like robot collision detection, etc.
- ST editor allows extensive and easy programming of customized safety libraries.
- Custom made TÜV certified safety code analyzer tool (SCA) for ensuring well-structured safety program code.
- Safety CPU can be configured to work even if the non-safety CPU is in STOP or maintenance mode or during online changes. Helpful in Robotic cells during maintenance.
- Address switch on the safety CPU allows implementing flexible configuration concept in machines which means one standard safety template program for different machine configuration types.
- Direct data mapping and easy data exchange between safety and non-safety CPU supported.
- Extreme condition (XC) version are available (-40 to 70 C) for harsh environments.
- Separate safety-CPU ensures free choice of non-safety CPU performance. Non-safety CPU supports communication possibilities like Ethernet, Modbus, CAN Open, EtherCAT, PROFIBUS, PROFINET, ASCII, FTP etc.
- Name setting of PROFINET slave station by rotary switches eliminate the need of engineering station during module replacement for maintenance purpose.
- Standard SD card could be used to clone both safety and non-safety program and configuration for quick replication on other machines.
- Maximum cable length for connected I/O signals could go up to 1,000 m (shielded cable) or 600 m (unshielded cable) including the test pulse for S-DIs.
- Fool-proof protection implemented in all safety I/O modules like prevention against reverse signal or power supply polarity, wrong module, placement, short circuit, etc.
- Extensive user management to protect the program and configuration data with many levels of password protection.
ABB Automation Products GmbH
The Engineers' Choice Awards highlight some of the best new control, instrumentation and automation products as chosen by...
The System Integrator Giants program lists the top 100 system integrators among companies listed in CFE Media's Global System Integrator Database.
This eGuide illustrates solutions, applications and benefits of machine vision systems.
Learn how to increase device reliability in harsh environments and decrease unplanned system downtime.
Salary and career survey: Benchmarks and advice; Designing controls; Remote data collection, historians; Control valve advances; Hannover Messe; Control Engineering International
System integration: Best practices and technologies to help; Virtualization virtues; Cyber security advice; Motor system efficiency, savings; Product exclusives; Road to Hannover
This article collection contains several articles on the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and how it is transforming manufacturing.
Getting to the bottom of subsea repairs: Older pipelines need more attention, and operators need a repair strategy; OTC preview; Offshore production difficult - and crucial
Digital oilfields: Integrated HMI/SCADA systems enable smarter data acquisition; Real-world impact of simulation; Electric actuator technology prospers in production fields