Improve asset management with smarter information tools: IBM
At the Manufacturing/Automation Summit on March 29, IBM explained how today's software tools help solve asset management and information integration challenges.
Mark T Hoske
Today's information technologies and processes have improved asset management strategies, according to Mary T. Bunzel, worldwide industry leader for manufacturing, IBM. Speaking at the Manufacturing/Automation Summit, March 28-30, 2010, hosted by Control Engineering and Plant Engineering magazines , Bunzel discussed advantages and implementation challenges of maintenance, repair, and operations software (MRO).
Also from the meeting
Sustainability tips: How manufacturing can become more energy efficient - Manufacturers should consider energy as a cost component of manufacturing production, measure where and how energy is used, and create an implementation plan for using energy more efficiently.
Not all assets are created equal, Bunzel noted. Manufacturers need to prioritize by deciding which assets contribute most to the operation. Some may run to failure, but others can differ in strategy. Predictive strategies and analytics might be applied to the most valuable assets to create more lead time and flexibility, she said.
Sensors can communicate system needs into MRO, a portfolio of assets, providing a solution set for enterprise, plant equipment, software, fleets of assets and all conditions above.
Significant MRO evolution has taken place , from the:
- Chaos of logbooks to
- Reactive nature of paper-based predictive maintenance records to
- Proactive calendar and meter-based nature of adding resource lists, parts, and labor to
- History that helps with work planning via prediction-based management and condition-based software to
- Full enterprise asset management. In this form, maintenance, repair, and operations data become a business information system, which "has the opportunity to completely transform industry."
When in economic crisis, she says, the natural reaction is for companies to go into a preservation mode and not invest in the next generation of opportunities, but these companies also miss the boat as they emerge from the recession.
Next generation MRO tools can help manufacturers :
- Do more with less, extend the life of current assets, maintain product quality, manage waste (labor raw materials and energy), and grow the business.
- Overcome operational hurdles, such as globalization over multiple sites, cultural changes, scheduling pressures, and the need to transform data into information.
- Better manage risk, related to regulations, health, and safety issues.
- Address technological challenges, such as short and long term data flow, removing silo walls, and justifying focus on MRO tools, to create the most throughput at the lowest cost.
Increasingly the IT organization is partnering in MRO efforts as a team member, in part to help "green" become a revenue opportunity.
Parting advice? Companies need to redefine what businesses they're in and want to be in, re-evaluate processes, rationalize systems, benchmark and measure, and create new sources of revenue.
An effective MRO implementation can help connect silos, help standardize and analyze what's going on, and build-in agility, Bunzel advised.
Also from Control Engineering , see:
|Search the online Automation Integrator Guide|
Case Study Database
Get more exposure for your case study by uploading it to the Control Engineering case study database, where end-users can identify relevant solutions and explore what the experts are doing to effectively implement a variety of technology and productivity related projects.
These case studies provide examples of how knowledgeable solution providers have used technology, processes and people to create effective and successful implementations in real-world situations. Case studies can be completed by filling out a simple online form where you can outline the project title, abstract, and full story in 1500 words or less; upload photos, videos and a logo.
Click here to visit the Case Study Database and upload your case study.