Machine Vision Product Research May 2007
Research was undertaken to gain a better understanding of Control Engineering subscribers’applications and needs regarding machine vision products.
Research was undertaken to gain a better understanding of Control Engineering subscribers’ applications and needs regarding machine vision products.
• Among those who specify, recommend, or buy machine vision products, 79% do so for in-plant requirements, while 37% do this for OEM needs.
• 90% of respondents use machine vision products for inspection. Almost two-thirds use machine vision for motion control and product inspection. Of those using machine vision for Motion Control applications, almost 80% are doing so for assembly guidance (79%) and robot motion control (78%).
• Proprietary and Gigibit Ethernet are currently the most widely used network protocols for machine vision products, with usage among 58% and 53% respectively. Looking ahead to next year, results suggest Gigibit Ethernet, USB, and IEEE 1394 (FireWire) will expand usage with Gigabit Ethernet being the most popular.
• Among those who specify, recommend, or buy machine vision products, 55% do not consider machine vision too costly nor complex to implement.
• Forty-four percent of respondents have used smart vision sensors. Eighty-three percent of this segment report the sensors met their requirements.
• Thirty-four percent of control engineers surveyed currently use vision system integrators, and another 13% plan to use them in the next year.
• Cognex (DVT) sold machine vision products to 55% of respondents over the past year. Keyence was next most in terms of market penetration, by virtue of sales to 23% of respondents.
• Fifty-seven machine vision products was the average number each survey participant purchased during the past 12 months. This equated to average spending in the past year of $103,517 per respondent. Forty-four percent of control engineers’ need for machine vision products will grow over the next year.
• Almost half of respondents (48%) mentioned capital budget limitations as the most significant impediment to their increased use of machine vision.