May 1 Southland Industries update: CUP nearly complete
The central utility plant is currently 80% complete; the project team recently hung four Armstrong vertical inline 1,900 gpm chilled water pumps; the boiler flue gas economizers have been hung.
As of May 1, 2013:
- The central utility plant (CUP) is currently 80% complete (see Figure 1 in the slideshow below)
- The project team recently hung four Armstrong vertical inline 1,900 gallons per minute (gpm) chilled water pumps (see Figure 2).
- The boiler flue gas economizers have been hung and are awaiting boiler flue and boilers (see Figure 3).
- We will be circulating water in the chiller plant in the coming months and are awaiting delivery of the boilers in July.
- Below are some interesting stats about the project that might be of interest. For your reference, much of the sustainable-conscious design used in the CUP helps attribute to the energy and water savings projected below.
- 786,965 cfm AHU supply volume
- 37,063,905 kWh annual electricity use, 11.7% savings over ASHRAE baseline
- 39,697 therms annual natural gas use, 92.8 % savings over ASHRAE baseline
- Overall 34.3% energy savings over ASHRAE baseline
- 8,112,515 gal of water used per year, 40% savings over baseline
- 46,864-MBH steam boiler plant
- 5,422-ton chiller plant
- 393,227 LF (74.5 miles) of pipe
- 1,302,485 lbs (651.2 tons) of sheetmetal
Gary Lovewell is a senior project manager at Southland Industries.
The Engineers' Choice Awards highlight some of the best new control, instrumentation and automation products as chosen by...
The System Integrator Giants program lists the top 100 system integrators among companies listed in CFE Media's Global System Integrator Database.
This eGuide illustrates solutions, applications and benefits of machine vision systems.
Learn how to increase device reliability in harsh environments and decrease unplanned system downtime.
Make Big Data and Industrial Internet of Things work for you, 2017 Engineers' Choice Finalists, Avoid control design pitfalls, Managing IIoT processes
Engineering Leaders Under 40; System integration improving packaging operation; Process sensing; PID velocity; Cybersecurity and functional safety
SCADA at the junction, Managing risk through maintenance, Moving at the speed of data
Flexible offshore fire protection; Big Data's impact on operations; Bridging the skills gap; Identifying security risks