Minnesota team wins national robotics championship
North High School from North St. Paul, Minnesota, won the 2014 National Robotics League (NRL) Championships with their robot "Final Cut."
Fierce competition, metal crunching and sparks flying were the highlights as 51 student teams from 33 schools battled at the 2014 National Robotics League (NRL) Championships, held at the Lou Higgins Center at Baldwin Wallace University in Cleveland, Ohio. After two days of electrifying competition, "Final Cut" from North High School in North St. Paul, Minnesota, was crowned NRL Grand Champion. The competition was sponsored and created by the National Tooling & Machining Association (NTMA).
"Everyone who participated in the NRL Championships is a winner," said NRL Program Director Maureen Carruthers. "Students had a great time and were introduced to the world of 21st century manufacturing, and NTMA member companies formed valuable partnerships with community colleges and high schools. Manufacturing has many sophisticated, high-skilled jobs which go unfilled because of a lack of sufficiently trained candidates. NRL exposes thousands of students each year to the new world of manufacturing. We're helping to attract a new generation of technology leaders, one robot at a time."
Other robot award winners included:
- 1st Place: FINAL CUT - North High School, North St. Paul, MN
- 2nd Place: K.A.R.A. - Hempfield Area High School, Greensburg, PA
- 3rd Place: STRYX - Greater Latrobe Senior High School, Greensburg, PA
- Coolest Bot: SHIFFU - Upper Valley Career Center, Piqua, OH
- Best Documentation (three-way tie): THUNDERBOLT - Beaumont School, Cleveland Heights, OH; ALEXANDER THE GREAT - Beaumont School, Cleveland Heights, OH; SIMPLY GREEN - Ringgold High School, Monongahela, PA
- Best Engineered (three-way tie): ALEXANDER THE GREAT - Beaumont School, Cleveland Heights, OH; BLACK WIDOW - Penncrest School District, Saegertown, PA; EARTH SHAKER - Cochranton High School, Cochranton, PA
- Best Team Presentation (three-way tie): THE X-FACTOR - Cleveland Heights High School, Cleveland Heights, OH; THUNDERBOLT - Beaumont High School, Cleveland Heights, OH; THE STREAKER - Madison High School, Madison, OH
National Tooling & Machining Association (NTMA)
- Edited by CFE Media. See more Control Engineering robotics stories.
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners