Owens Corning drives recycling throughout its supply chain
The company increases use of recycled content in fiberglass insulation and masonry products and simplifies asphalt shingle recycling for end-to-end materials reduction process.
Owens Corning recently announced what it says are significantadvancements in the use of recycled content, end-of-life solutions and thecompany's collaboration with the recycling industry:
- Owens Corning Fiberglas insulation products are said to have thehighest certified recycled content for fiberglass insulation in North America. With an additional 10% recycledcontent, Owens Corning residential and commercial insulation products in North America now are made of at least half recycledglass content (minimum 50%).
- Owens Corning's Cultured Stone and ProStone brands are the firstmanufactured stone veneer products to receive third party validation forrecycled content. UL Environment Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary ofUnderwriters Laboratories, provided the third party testing and validationfor a minimum 35% recycled content.
- Owens Corning's Roofing business developed a program to simplifyshingle recycling for its Preferred Roofing Contractors. Through theprogram, Owens Corning connects roofing contractors with drop-off locationsand recycling centers run by Heritage Environmental Services. Heritage, aprivately-held environmental services company, provides dedicated,drop-off centers that will recycle and process shingle tear-offs for thematerials to be used in paving.
Access other Control Engineering contentrelated to corporate sustainability initiatives:
- Caterpillarnamed to Dow Jones sustainability index
- SamsungElectronics announces eco-management initiative
- Researchshows sustainability a "must have" forlong-term business viability
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners