Project: Baton Rouge Wastewater Pump Station SCADA System (February 28, 2006)
February 28, 2006
As mentioned in the previous blog, the data usage over the cellular network had to be limited using bit packing and sequential addressing methods. The changes were made to the RTU last week and our monitoring has revealed some really positive results. We shall be able to get the exact numbers after careful monitoring for about a week, but the rough estimates show that the bandwidth usage has gone down at least by 30%. This is a significant improvement considering the fact that the cell service provider charges a lot of money on any overages on the account. We should have some numerical data to share next week.
More than two months of monitoring, troubleshooting and modifications has brought us to a point to where we feel confident that the system works properly. Last week, we made electronic submittals for the graphics review of the software. We sent all the necessary details to access the site to the two engineers associated with the approval process. It's an important test for us, and if we can cross this milestone, our journey through the remaining 12 booster station installations will be relatively smooth.
This week we will work on fine tuning the alarming capabilities and make sure the city engineer gets the alarm messages in time on his cell phone to take timely action. More on this next week...
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners