Recorders Product Research (March 2007)
Research was undertaken to gain a better understanding of Control Engineering subscribers’applications and needs regarding Recorders.
Research was undertaken to gain a better understanding of Control Engineering subscribers’ applications and needs regarding Recorders.
• Among those specifying, recommending, and/or buying recorders, 72% do so for in-plant requirements and 28% buy for OEM needs.
• Batch and continuous processing is the most prominent application for recorders. Continuous processing only is applicable at 25% of respondents’ locations.
• For recording, ink is the likely choice for circular chart applications while paperless data storage is used most for strip chart applications.
• When asked for a preference of either multi-channel or plug-in signal conditioner type recorders, most respondents mention having no preference, saying the application typically drove purchase requirements. Of those specifying multi-channel recorders, about half are requesting 6 or more channels.
• Temperature is most common type of measurement being taken with recorders (88%). Pressure is measured second most with 71% of those answering taking this type of measurement. Flow is measured about 60% of the time.
• 4-20 mA is the most common type of signal measured at respondent locations with 77% recording this type of measurement. Recorders are measuring thermocouples about 72% of the time. Most respondents require taking less than 60 samples per minute with the recorders being used. The most frequent resolution needed at respondent locations was 16 bit.
• Two-thirds of recorders currently in use are not utilizing wireless technology. In fact, only 4% of those answering are using wireless technology on more than half of their recorder applications.
• Most recorder information is destined for a data acquisition software package. However, 51% of the information being recorded still gets disseminated via paper file.
• Microsoft Windows XP is the most common data acquisition operating system used. For those using networks, Ethernet TCP/IP is the most frequently used network for implementing data acquisition applications.
• Yokogawa is the most purchased brand of recorder over the last 12 months. Honeywell is second most purchased.
• 32 was the average number of recorders each survey participant purchased during the past 12 months. Average spending per respondent on recorders in the past year was $25,896.
• A little over one-quarter of respondent’s report their purchases of recorders will grow in the next 12 months with 55% stating their purchases will remain the same. About 18% expect a decline.
• The ability for recorders to integrate with other systems (18%) was the biggest future need for recorders. Paperless data acquisition was mentioned by 16% of respondents as an additional need.
• Sixty-six percent of respondents do not receive Control Design magazine. Sixty-eight percent do not receive Control.
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners