Training suite to improve operator competency through 3D simulation
Honeywell Process Solutions' UniSim Competency Suite is designed to improve operator competency for industrial facilities that are facing a growing shortage of trained operators and they have expanded their suite by integrating SNC-Lavalin's FieldOp3D, which allows the user to navigate a 3D replica of the plant and practice tasks essential to the user's job.
Honeywell (NYSE:HON) Process Solutions' (HPS) UniSim Competency Suite is designed to improve operator competency and help prepare them faster through realistic training experiences for console and field operators in the process industries. It is designed for industrial facilities that are facing a growing shortage of trained operators in the engineering and industrial workforces.
The UniSim Competency suite features simulation models as well as new technologies including:
- UniSim Operations: Operator Training Simulator (OTS), which is a plant simulation system that allows users to accelerate knowledge transfer by consolidating an entire lifetime of experience into a concise process training curriculum. It features realistic process, control, and safety systems modeling.
- UniSim Curriculum, which is a customizable competency model that aligns and assists in improving critical requisite skills and behaviors. It also tracks operator progress and is built from Abnormal Situation Management Consortium’s research into operator competency to help businesses define, deploy and manage a structured competency program.
- UniSim Tutor is a knowledge capture and propagation tool. It provides a repository for domain knowledge and experiences as well as teach and evaluate the user's reflexes and diagnostic abilities for hypothetical scenarios.
- UniSim Field View is an interactive, navigable, panoramic view for realistic field operator training. It uses actual facility photographs and extends UniSim Operations simulator training to include field operators.
- UniSim 3D Connect provides simulator integration and connectivity to 3D virtual environment and is intended to provide credible and realistic experiences for field operators in training.
The UniSim Competency Suite helps accelerate and maintain operator performance through training that has been designed to deliver business results, including accelerated knowledge transfer to operators, earlier operating profits with faster start-ups, protection of profits through incident avoidance, and protection of plant assets and the environment.
In addition, SNC-Lavalin has signed an agreement with Honeywell Process Solutions to integrate its training simulator, FieldOp3D, to Honeywell's UniSim Operations training simulation platform to extend simulator training to the field operator. FieldOp3D is designed to provide a safe learning environment where trainees can navigate a 3D replica of the plant and practice tasks essential to their job. Standard and emergency procedures can also be validated and optimized.
"SNC-Lavalin's 3D technology allows us to expand and improve our simulation offering beyond the control room into the field by adding a virtual immersive training environment," said John Roffel, Honeywell Process Solutions' Operator Competency product director. "The new offering provides a safe learning environment where trainees can navigate a replica of their plant, giving field operators the opportunity to practice tasks essential to their job."
The product was discussed at the 2015 ARC Forum in Orlando, Fla.
Honeywell Process Solutions
- Edited by CFE Media. See more Control Engineering simulator and optimizer products.
Watch a YouTube video on Honeywell Process' Solutions UniSim Competency Suite.
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners