Ultra-compact Industrial PC with RAID System
Control cabinet PC from Beckhoff features high data security and high-performance with space-saving design. Video: Roland van Mark explains capabilities of industrial PCs, and how to use multi-core processors.
In order to add a RAID (redundant array of independent disks) option with high data security to its compact C69xx industrial PC line, Beckhoff has introduced the C6930 IPC. Designed for industrial automation applications where compact devices are a must, the C6930 includes a 3½-in. Beckhoff motherboard designed for powerful Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo processors and offers high data security through an integrated RAID system for mirroring hard disks.
In the video, Roland van Mark explains the specific characteristics of industrial PCs, and ways users can leverage the capabilities of multi-core processors.
The C6930 IPC also features a wide range of PC interfaces, up to three Ethernet ports, which can support EtherCAT-based controllers and optional fieldbus interfaces for conventional fieldbus systems. The compact C6930 is designed for simple control cabinet installation. An easy to replace cooling fan cartridge with speed control and double ball bearing fans enable operation of the PC at temperatures up to 55 °C (131 °F).
The C6930 has an on-board SATA RAID controller for mirroring two hard disks. It can be used for convenient configuration of RAID applications supported by TwinCAT automation software. In addition to, or instead of the hard drive, a flash disk can be integrated in the form of a Compact Flash (CF) card or solid-state disk (SSD). The result is high data security that can be enhanced further through optional UPS functionality.
The C6930 features two free-plug connector panels for additional interfaces installed ex works such as RS232, sound, and two additional USB ports. Optional fieldbus interfaces (e.g. for DeviceNet, Profibus, CANopen or SERCOS), a third Ethernet port, or a Novram memory module for fail-safe storage of process data can be connected via a free Mini-PCI slot.
The compact C6930 control cabinet PC is designed for applications as a centralized controller in an EtherCAT-based control system. It is equipped with two standard Ethernet ports (and optionally a third port), offering optimum performance for all EtherCAT control tasks.
• Industrial PC for space-saving control cabinet installation
• Intel Core Duo/Intel Core 2 Duo processor
• 3½-in. motherboard
• 512 MB DDR2RAM, expandable ex factory to 3 GB
• On-board graphic adapter, Intel GMA950, DVI-I connector
• On-board dual Ethernet adapter with 1 x 10/100BASE-T and 1 x 100/1000BASE-T connector
• On-board SATA RAID 1 controller, Intel matrix storage technology
• Single hard disk, 2½-inch, 40 GB (optional: second 2½-inch hard disk or SSD instead of hard disk)
• Single serial RS232 interface, 4 USB 2.0 ports
• Slot for 1 CF card behind front flap
• Optional Mini-PCI card with fieldbus interface, Ethernet port, or Novram
• Optional second serial port led out as RS232, RS422, or RS485, sound line inputs and outputs, or 2 USB 2.0 ports
• Microsoft Windows XP Embedded or Windows XP Professional operating system
• Protection class: IP 20
• Fan cartridge with speed control and double ball bearing fans, accessible from the front
• Operating temperature range: 0-55 °C (32-131 °F)
• Basic configuration weight: 2.1 kg (4.6 lbs)
• Dimensions (W x H x D): 89 x 231 x 119 mm, without mounting plate.
Edited by Peter Welander, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners
- CFE Edu