Using licensed radio frequency bands for long-range wireless Ethernet
Eaton’s Elpro division releases wireless Ethernet modem using high-power licensed radio to send data over long distances.
Eaton has released its new Elpro 450U-E licensed wireless Ethernet modem family, designed to extend the range of networks in difficult applications. Units in the group can support 60 to 450 MHz licensed frequencies, allowing users to choose the best for a given application.
“The 450U-E extends the broad range of licensed and unlicensed Ethernet modems offered by the Elpro product line,” said Steven Toteda, VP and general manager of Eaton’s wireless business unit. “With solutions from 60 MHz to 5.8 GHz, the product line’s unique features help extend end-to-end network connectivity and easily integrate with our range of market-leading networking solutions. These products provide an ultra-long range wireless solution for monitoring and control of critical assets.”
Operating at 360 to 512 MHz, and up to 5.0 W, the 450U-E is optimized for throughputs of up to 19.2 kbps which provides robust and secure two-way wireless communications in extremely challenging outdoor environments over obstructed paths typical of remote monitoring and control applications.
Capable of operating in access point/client configuration, functioning as a network bridge/router, or serving as a serial server (RS232/485), the family offers node-to-node deterministic mesh network repeatability for further range and multiple channel spacing options to increase network scalability. Integrated Modbus server capability allows seamless integration with smart sensors, RTU’s, or I/O expansion using Elpro 115S expansion modules.
Product features include:
• 360 to 512 MHz frequency licensed and unlicensed options
• 10 mW to 5.0 W RF power
• Radio data rates from 4,800 bps to 19.2 kbps
• 12.5 kHz and 25.0 kHz channel bandwidth options
• 10/100 baseT Ethernet port
• Spanning tree (self healing) support
• Deterministic AP-to-AP mesh network repeatability
• MAC and IP address filtering
• Analog input, digital I/O, and RS232/485 serial
• Design for industrial, high noise environments
• Over-the-air network diagnostics and configuration
• VLAN tagging supported for bridging and routing modes, and
• Network management capabilities.