Capacitive proximity switch has high-resolution analog output
The CPA100 Capacitive Sensor from Lion Precision has a setpoint (switched) output to indicate presence/absence like a typical proximity switch, but the nonlinear analog output is capable of resolutions as low as 15 nm RMS (150 nm p-p). The sensor features a unique front panel range indicator to alert the operator to out-of-range conditions, DIN rail mount electronics, and user adjustments for Offset (Zero) and Gain. A selection of probes provides standard measurement ranges from 0.05 to 6 mm. Offset and Gain can also be controlled with remote potentiometers if the device is enclosed in a control panel. Sync connectors allow interference-free use of multiple sensors with the same target.
Typical applications for the CPA100, besides basic position monitoring, include production line part sorting; double sheet detection in printers or related processes; and monitoring of processes involving nonconductive materials such as films, fabrics, and applied coatings such as adhesives.
- Resolution: 0.03%F.S. RMS @ mid-range @15 kHz (typical)
- Bandwidth: 15 kHz (-3dB)
- Maximum Temp. Drift: Electronics: 0.2% F.S./°C; Probe: 0.05% F.S./°C
- Analog Output: 0-10 V dc
- Setpoint Output: Solid state switch closure; 30 V ac/60 V dc max
- Operating Temperature: 40 °F-120 °F; 4 °C-50 °C
- Input Power: 15-24 V dc, 2.5 W
– Edited by Gust Gianos, CFE Media, Control Engineering, www.controleng.com