FreeWave: Integrators IO Solar Kit makes wireless SCADA communications easier
Oil and gas, water and wastewater, and other wireless supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) communications applications are expanding with greater ease, according to Curt Goldman, FreeWave Technologies business development executive. This trend is being supported with the all-in-one FreeWave Integrators IO Solar Kit (KITA7X500A), which significantly reduces setup time of radio systems, Goldman told Control Engineering . "This all in one turnkey solar power kit is designed for use with FreeWave IO radios. It solves the issues of having to source and size solar systems for power at remote IO locations and is specifically designed to be bundled with FreeWave radios," Goldman said.
The kit includes easy instructions and:
– 5 W, 12 V solar panel (10-in. x 7-in.) with U-mount hardware;
– 5 A charge controller;
– 12 V, 7 A/hr battery offering up to seven days of power for the FreeWave remote radio and two sensors, with adequate solar coverage.
– Weatherproof enclosure (9.5-in x 11.5-in x 4.5-in) from Stahlin; and
– Mounting hardware and wiring.
Add to the kit a whip antenna for short range line-of-sight applications or an external antenna, as needed. Recommended for the kit, are FreeWave IO radios with a straight up connector option, Goldman says.
– FreeWave Technologies: New wireless IO expansion module extends RTU capabilities – Introduced at Automation Fair, the module expands the number of IO points to meet customers’ growing and changing wireless network requirements.
– FreeWave: Next generation license-free spread spectrum radio – New FreeWave FGR2-PE combines serial and Ethernet wireless connectivity for smart grid applications, such as distribution automation, for long distance wireless data communications.
– See Control Engineering wireless articles at www.controleng.com/wireless .
– Mark T. Hoske, editor in chief, Control Engineering , www.controleng.com