Line scan camera has 16k resolution, fast througput
Dalsa Corporation has introduced the Piranha3 16k complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) line scan camera. This high-speed model features 16k resolution with a 3.5 µm pixel size and a 70 kHz line rate for ultra-fast 1146 Mpixels/s throughput – surpassing both the resolution and the throughput of any previous Dalsa line scan camera.
The Piranha3 16k camera delivers unprecedented speed with low noise and high dynamic range. It is ideally suited for the inspection of large area flat-panel displays and printed circuit boards, along with high performance document scanning and other high throughput applications. The new Piranha3 16k delivers unrivalled precision and speed within a compact form factor of 150 x 80 x 77 mm.
“The Piranha3 16k camera delivers unparalleled performance using Dalsa’s own CMOS sensor architecture,” said Dalsa senior product manager Xing-Fei He. “Combined with our new high speed interface, we are able to meet the market’s increasing demand for higher resolutions and speeds using a single, extended cable solution in a low cost package.”
To deliver its full bandwidth, the Piranha3 16k high speed uses the new Dalsa HSLink machine vision connectivity interface. HSLink takes the key strengths of Camera Link, adds new features and functions, and combines them with scalable bandwidth in 300 megabyte/second steps (from 300 to 6000 megabytes/second) and uses globally available, off-the-shelf components.
The Piranha3 16k camera is supported by Dalsa’s Xcelera-HS PX8 frame grabber. The Xcelera-HS PX8 also leverages the interface to deliver image acquisition bandwidth of 1.8 gigabytes/second and host transfer bandwidth of 2 gigabytes/second over multiple-lane PCI Express implementations.
Piranha cameras are supported by Dalsa’s Sapera vision software. This core development platform includes over 400 image processing primitive and industrial strength image analysis tools, such as pattern finding, 1D and 2D barcode and OCR tools for part identification and detection, color processing tool, separation and measurement applications, blob analysis tool and inspection metrology tool for real-world dimensional measurements.
Key features and benefits:
- High resolution 16,384 pixels with 3.5 x 3.5 µm pixel size
- Dalsa’s own CMOS image sensor technology
- High speed, 70 kHz line rate for 1146 MPixels/s throughput
- On-chip CDS and ADC
- High speed interface – next generation interface for data transfer (HSLink)
- Camera configuration parameters that are all software controllable, including flat field correction, exposure control, and gain and offset control
- More detail with fewer cameras in a multi-camera system for measurable cost savings
- Delivers Dalsa’s lowest price per pixel system solution
– Edited by Amanda McLeman, Control Engineering, www.controleng.com