OPC Foundation, MTConnect Institute develop MTConnectOpcUa
At the International Manufacturing Technology Show, IMTS 2010, the OPC Foundation and the MTConnect Institute announced they would develop standards called MTConnectOpcUa. The companion specifications aim to ensure interoperability and consistency between MTConnect specifications and OPC specifications, as well as the manufacturing technology equipment, devices, software, or other products that implement those standards. This agreement provides a mechanism for OPC and MTConnect to collaborate to extend the reach of the existing manufacturing data exchange standards and implementation technologies to:
- Evolve the existing standards for each organization to provide complete manufacturing technology interoperability.
- Provide the mechanism for continuous improvement of standards and specifications overseen by each body.
- Work with the end users and suppliers of technology and manufacturing.
- Provide a coordinating function to exchange insights, identify overlaps, and harmonize work where appropriate.
- Facilitate clear communication and education for users and others concerning possible overlaps and the ways the standards and specifications can be used.
- Provide a solid foundation to develop and deliver specifications, technology and processes to facilitate adoption of the technology into real products.
– Also see:
The NIST Intelligent Manufacturing Robotics and Automation Interoperability Standards Program at www.nist.gov/el/isd/cs/imrais.cfm.
Read “When machines talk, will you listen?“ for more about MTConnect.
– Edited by Mark T. Hoske, CFE Media, Control Engineering, www.controleng.com