Router, camera system used to enhance billboards
Media Resources, which specializes in large-format digital displays such as billboards and video scoreboards, partnered with Moxa Americas Inc. to improve the reliability of their control systems. The requirements for the project and upgrade included:
- Minimal downtime. A downtime of over 10 seconds (contiguously) can result in lost revenue.
- Remote diagnostics and ability to remotely monitor and cycle internal components from off-site.
- Ultra-high network security, with VPN access.
- Webcam monitoring. One webcam should be able to view a 14 ft x 48 ft billboard from the shortest distance away possible.
Moxa and Media Resources engineers worked together to overhaul the control system with a focus on reliability, redundancy, and self-monitoring. A Moxa remote I/O unit, the ioLogik E1214, monitored the performance of all components on a constant basis.
If an error is detected, the unit is able to automatically cycle the component. If the error persists, a Moxa all-in-one router and managed switch, the EDR-810, allows a technician to remotely and securely create a VPN tunnel to remotely assess the situation, with the assistance of a Moxa IP camera, the VPort P06-M12-CAM25. Moxa’s router and managed switch allows Media Resources to grant access of the IP camera to clients who wish to personally monitor the products they have purchased from the company. The bulletproof enclosure and extra-wide angle lens allow for high resolution video images regardless of where the billboards is installed, which can capture extra large signage products up to 50 ft wide from as close as 8 ft away.
Moxa Americas Inc.
– Edited by CFE Media. See more Control Engineering PLM and control design stories.