Smooth motion control strategies
Cover story: Integrated systems, efficiency, motion profiles: Automated guided vehicles integrate power, without batteries; Variable frequency drive configuration, high-efficiency operation, and permanent magnet motors; and motion based profiles, libraries ease integration.
The Control Engineering December 2014 cover story discusses: Integrated systems, efficiency, and motion profiles. See more about each, and a link to the longer online version of each, below.
SuperiorControls doubles assembly line throughput without increases in floor space or staffing by integrating battery-free automated guided vehicles (AGVs) with controls and manufacturing execution system (MES). A manufacturer of large, off-road vehicles had three objectives for an existing assembly line:
- Battery-free automated guided vehicles (AGVs) use inductive power transfer.
- AGVs integrated with automation and tracking software.
- Assembly line doubled throughput without an increase in staffing or floor space.
Permanent magnet alternating current (PMAC) motors are seeing increasing demand in variable-speed, high duty-cycle motion control applications due to their higher efficiencies and energy saving potential across different speed and torque ranges.
- Properly configure variable frequency drives for permanent magnet alternating current (PMAC) motors for optimal system performance and desired energy savings
- Heed safety concerns if PMAC motors rotate in an unpowered state.
When determining the best standards, protocols, and solutions for a motion application, it’s always best when done from the point of reference of the motion profiles. Electrical engineers and programmers must ask what must be accomplished with the motion system and work toward solutions that push the user to the correct methodology.
- Software can simplify integration of numerous motion-specific technologies (drives, actuators, motors, etc.), and auxiliary components, while managing multiple fieldbus networks for seamless integration.
See additional Control Engineering stories related to .