Ten best practices for system integration companies and projects
Automation and control system integrators and those doing system integration project should consider the following 10 attributes, according to the Best Practices and Benchmarks Manual, version 5.0, from the Control System Integrators Association (CSIA). Critical considerations in each of the 10 areas follow below, including what should be included in project management, system development lifecycle, quality management, and cybersecurity.
- General management – strategic management, organizational structure, facilities and equipment, computer systems management, and corporate risk management
- Human resources management – administration, recruitment and selection, performance management, training and development, compensation and benefits, and employee communication
- Marketing, business development, and sales management – marketing plan and sales strategy best practices
- Financial management – measures of performance, financial planning, billing procedures, and tax policy
- Project management – aspects of project management include contracts, procurement, planning, risk, resources, communications, scope, scheduling, budgets, change, quality, and closure.
- System development lifecycle – internal kickoff, requirements, design, development, unit/module and integration testing, factory acceptance testing (FAT) and site acceptance testing (SAT), system shipping, installation, and commissioning
- Supporting activities – process development and maintenance, standards and templates, project methodologies, procurement management, risk management, configuration management, and reuse management
- Quality management – continuous measurable improvement, client satisfaction measurement, client service, and project quality assurance
- Service and support – strategic management, organizational structure, methodology, and service management
- Information systems management and cybersecurity – covering facilities and equipment protection from an information systems management and cybersecurity standpoint.
Many of these best practices will be reviewed at the 2018 CSIA Executive Conference, which runs Tuesday through Sunday in San Francisco.
Control System Integrators Association (CSIA)
– Edited from a CSIA press release by CFE Media. See more Control Engineering system integration stories.