Worm gear screw jack systems provide environmental efficiencies for solar applications
In response to the rapid development of the Global Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market, Nook Industries, the linear motion control systems and turnkey components manufacturer, has developed a product line to provide efficiency and environmental value to solar energy applications. By expanding the ActionJac (Worm Gear Screw Jack) product line, Nook allegedly provides linear actuation with less electric consumption, fewer accessories, no hazardous materials, and an iron-clad multi-year warranty. Nook linear actuator solutions are reportedly helping to make the modern solar energy system cost-effective, reliable and 100 percent environmentally safe.
The ActionJac product line is time-tested and originally designed and applied in the 1970’s for the booming home direct-satellite market. The ActionJac has evolved for today’s solar energy market. Typical solar applications include solar panels and machines that manufacture solar panel materials. Examples include solar fields with fixed position panels, solar trackers that align solar panels to the sun, as well as collection towers. Nook ActionJac’s reportedly operate efficiently, precisely and provide excellent extreme weather reliability.
Today, the expanded ActionJac line is comprised of standard Machine Screw, Ball Screw, Stainless Steel, Metric, and Trapezoidal screw jack options to meet the specifications of environmentally conscious engineers. Used individually or in multiple arrangements, each Worm Gear Screw Jack is built to specification with customized travel lengths and reliable load handling capacities ranging from 1/4 ton to 100 tons.
ActionJac Design Configuration Features:
Each model in the ActionJac line incorporates a rugged worm gear set arrangement that uses an alloy steel worm, which drives a high strength bronze worm gear (drive sleeve). The worm shaft is supported on anti-friction tapered roller bearings with external seals to prevent loss of lubrication. While each model is built to specification, the following models offer distinct engineering advantages for engineers including:
- Machine Screw Jacks: Features a lifting shaft made of alloy steel with a minimum tensile strength of 95,000 psi. Machine Screw Jack lifting shafts are manufactured with a lead accuracy of approximately 0.004” per foot.
- Ball Screw Jacks: The addition of a high efficiency ball screw and nut reduces the required input torque to approximately 1/3 the torque required for Machine Screw Jack.
- Stainless Steel Screw Jacks: Ideal for use in demanding environments where corrosion resistance is essential; all external components are manufactured from 300 Series stainless steel materials (including the worm). The stainless steel lifting threads are also precision formed to Class 2-C (centralizing) thread profiles.
- Metric Ball Screw Jacks: Globally accepted metric model provides design engineers with all the efficiency advantages of ball screw technology.
- Trapezoidal Screw Jacks: These true metric jacks include a lift shaft with a special trapezoidal thread form; created to stay within ISO standards yet retains the centralizing feature of 2C acme threads.
- Accessories: Nook also offers a full line of accessories which are available with each screw jack. Accessories include: motors, motor mounts, encoders, hand wheels, counters, couplings, miter gear boxes, boots, limit switches, top plates, and clevises are also available.
Nook Industries Inc.
– Edited by Gust Gianos, Control Engineering, www.controleng.com