Full Contributor Guidelines 3
Full contributor guidelines
Page 3 of 3
Enewsletter feature stories
Each of our enewsletters has one to two feature stories in each, which is both e-mailed to our readers and posted online. Enewsletters stories must meet the same strict requirements as our print magazine features, and should have multiple links to external sites for readers to acquire more information.
- Consulting-Specifying Engineer enewsletters include: Codes and Standards, Electrical Solutions, Fire and Life Safety Solutions, HVAC Solutions, NewsWatch: Data Centers, NewsWatch: Hospitals, Pure Power
- Control Engineering enewsletters: Weekly News, Fieldbus Facts, Information Control Monthly, Safety and Security, Process and Advanced Control Monthly, Process Instrumentation and Sensors Monthly, Machine Control Monthly, Energy Automation Montly, System Integration Monthly
- Plant Engineering enewsletters: PlantMail, Hotwire, Safety and Security, Maintenance Connection, Energy Management
Submit Consulting-Specifying Engineer enewsletter feature story ideas via the content submission form.
Send Control Engineering enewsletter feature story ideas with enewsletter name in the subject line to email@example.com.
Send Plant Engineering enewsletter feature story ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to submit feature story/case study information
- It is critical to first e-mail an exclusive idea before writing a complete article. We can then see where it might fit in our editorial calendar, or when appropriate. We prefer that you contact us prior to writing your manuscript so that we can guide you in the content. We may ask for an abstract and outline and a commitment to a deadline before agreeing to a manuscript.
- If you are suggesting a “how-to” article, please be sure to tell us what level of reader might be interested in this, the seasoned engineer or the novice.
- For engineering case studies, be sure to include who, what, when, where, the timeline of the project, how much it cost and how it was paid for, why it was done.
- For Consulting-Specifying Engineer, include 1 year of post-occupancy performance data such as datalogger readings, meter readings, and utility bills.
- Include information about the bylined author, such as their title and a three-sentence bio.
- The availability of photos or other illustrative materials should be explained or samples provided (no high-resolution files via e-mail, please).
- If you’re pitching online content (rich media, e.g. videos, podcasts, etc.), it must be noncommercial and instructional.
There are restrictions on such submissions:
The article or online content must be exclusive to the three magazines that operate under CFE Media (Consulting-Specifying Engineer, Control Engineering, Plant Engineering). Authors will be requested to sign an agreement with CFE Media to have their story published. Photos and other art elements remain the intellectual property of the originator, but anything used in the Consulting-Specifying Engineer, Control Engineering, or Plant Engineering article can be used by Consulting-Specifying Engineer, Control Engineering or Plant Engineering in any spin-offs or re-publications of the article in print or electronic formats.
The article is not product-specific or commercially biased. We encourage authors to include information about the engineering topic, a particular project or challenge, or a general technology issue. This allows us to maintain our editorial independence.
General policies and procedures
CFE Media and the publications it represents assumes the right to publish, perform, display, digitize, transmit, reproduce and, as reasonably required for layout purposes, modify and reformat, in all formats and media now known or hereafter developed throughout the universe in perpetuity for any submitted photography, illustrations, graphics, other images, and related text.
How to submit an article
Articles may range anywhere from 1 to 4 published pages, depending on the topic and the author. Each page is about 600 words. Articles should be in Microsoft Word, and should be submitted via e-mail or a content submission form. Please DO NOT submit articles in PDF format.
Deadlines for editorial material vary according to the type of material. A typical deadline for a feature story is at least two months prior to publication (so April articles are due about February 1). In the case of unsolicited features, we will contact you about when we plan to run a story. Because of production and magazine publishing issues, however, we cannot guarantee any story will run in a given issue.
We receive a high volume of submissions. We won’t use every article pitched, but we may decide to share them with our readers on the websites, or in one of the monthly enewsletters.
Complementary copies: Feature article authors automatically receive three copies of the issue or issues in which their article appears.
How to submit images
All graphics should be provided in separate high-resolution 300 dpi, EPS, JPEG or TIFF files at 4×6 inches in size in either RGB or CMYK format. Typical image file sizes are 1 MB or larger. We may request larger image files be submitted via our cloud server site. Our art department will redraw most graphs, charts, and line drawings, and format tables for publication quality.
Image capture guidelines:
- Capture images at the largest size resolution possible with highest pixel depth your equipment can produce.
- Control image correction as much as possible during image capture, do not sharpen.
- Previously scanned high resolution files are acceptable.
- Files should be submitted uncompressed (TIFF format) RGB color mode with no embedded color profile.
- EPS files are also acceptable in Photoshop or Illustrator programs.
- JPEG files are compressed and therefore not preferred but will be acceptable only if they are high resolution.
- Unless otherwise requested, any added type or logos, other than what would appear on a normal software screen shot, will be cropped out to ensure uniform publication style.
Specifically for Consulting-Specifying Engineer
All technical articles will be anonymously reviewed, likely by a member of the Consulting-Specifying Engineer Advisory Board, or by another expert in the industry.
How to Submit Videos
Videos of interest for viewing on the CFE Media Websites will be considered for posting.
Specifications for video file to post: Video, 5 minutes or less, may include a 5-sec introduction screen featuring your company/project name and information and a 5-sec closing screen with your contact information (e-mail, URL, phone, etc). Use file names for the video that contains descriptive keywords identifying video content for SEO purposes.
- File should be at least 320 px by 240 px and be proportioned to a 4:3 ratio.
- Supported format is Flash Video (FLV). We cannot accept .swf or .fla files. (The ratio/pixel width can be larger but will be constrained within a player that accommodates a 4:3 Video. Videos are placed on the site at 320 px by 240 pix resolution.)
How Videos are Displayed
- Videos will be embedded on pages with related content for SEO.
- Videos can be loaded from YouTube and hosted on our pages.
Reprints are available after publication in the three magazines. All reprints are custom made in hardcopy or electronic format, and prices vary. You can request reprints to Marcia Brewer at Wright’s Media Reprints at email@example.com.
Helpful Hints for Search Engine Optimization
Titles and subtitles
- Use identifying keywords that relate to the content in your article title as those keywords are integrated into URL.
- Subtitles (deckhead) should be 2-4 sentences and refer to the content covered in the article.
- If there is a company name, include it in the subtitle.
- Include pertinent information referring to the full content in the subtitle.
Include relevant deep links to content that is hosted on your source as well as content hosted on the publication’s site
File names for images
If using images, use the magazine acronym (CE, CSE, PE), the date and then an identifier description with hyphens or underscores.