VFD Configuration and Troubleshooting with a Smartphone: 10 Tips, 3 Applications, and a Demo
Attendees are eligible for a certificate of completion.
Set-up up and troubleshooting of variable frequency drives (VFDs) includes specific challenges; smartphone apps and wireless technology can help. VFDs improve energy efficiency and motor performance in a wide variety of industrial applications.
Start-up, maintenance and troubleshooting challenges for VFDs include the following and more:
- Small button-controlled interfaces and limited low-res screens that make programming difficult
- Restricted, difficult or inconvenient physical access to the VFD
- Harsh environments not suitable for typical laptops
- Time consuming lockout tag-out procedures
- Safety risk when opening a high-voltage electrical and controls enclosures
- Inability to program the VFD prior to installation
- Learning curve related to understanding new VFDs or different VFD keypad HMI’s
- Missing product instructions that can make post start-up work on the VFDs more difficult
- Facilities often lack parameter management for many installed VFDs.
- Examine challenges with VFD set up, configuration and troubleshooting and provide 10 tips on how to resolve those with smartphone apps and Bluetooth wireless technology.
- Overview of 3 common VFD applications and related benefits of smartphone app via wireless and wired VFD configuration: Mining, Distributor or value added reseller and Textile manufacturing (small and large firms)
- Learn what to look for to future-proof your next VFD purchase
Michael Hall, Product Manager for Mobile Applications and Technical Communications, Yaskawa America, Inc.
Mark Hoske, Content Manager, CFE Media & Technology