2016 System Integration Study: Five findings on integrating systems
Respondents to the Control Engineering 2016 System Integration Study identified five high-level findings regarding the impact of integrating systems today.
Respondents to the Control Engineering 2016 System Integration Study identified five high-level findings regarding the impact of integrating systems today:
- Project involvement: The majority of respondents (74%) perform system integration services, either in-house or to third parties; on average, these respondents reported working on 16 system integration projects per year. The remaining 26% hire system integrators and reported outsourcing an average of eight projects per year.
- Average project size: The average system integration project size that respondents are involved with is about $218,000—a decrease of 11.4% since 2015—with 17% of system integration projects valued at more than $500,000.
- On time deliverables: Over the past 12 months, an average of 72% of system integration projects respondents were involved in were on time—a 9.3% increase from 2015. Primary causes of delays fell on unexpected changes in scope, decisions, and late approvals.
- Project effectiveness: Half of respondents said automation system integration has been highly effective in their facilities or in the facilities in which they were involved, and another 42% rated it as moderately effective. Respondents traditionally measure project effectiveness by increased productivity levels (61%), on budget delivery (60%), and on time delivery (58%).
- Challenges: System integrators continue to struggle with hiring engineering talent for system integration (49%) and industry experience (40%). Other challenges include client relations (38%), a lack of communication (35%), and keeping up with changes to regulations/codes and standards (33%).
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners
The Engineers' Choice Awards highlight some of the best new control, instrumentation and automation products as chosen by...
The System Integrator Giants program lists the top 100 system integrators among companies listed in CFE Media's Global System Integrator Database.
This eGuide illustrates solutions, applications and benefits of machine vision systems.
Learn how to increase device reliability in harsh environments and decrease unplanned system downtime.
Motor specification guidelines; Understanding multivariable control; Improving a safety instrumented system; 2017 Engineers' Choice Award Winners
Selecting the best controller from several viewpoints; System integrator advice for the IIoT; TSN and real-time Ethernet; Questions to ask when selecting a VFD; Action items for an aging PLC/DCS
Motion control advances and solutions can help with machine control, automated control on assembly lines, integration of robotics and automation, and machine safety.
Future of oil and gas projects; Reservoir models; The importance of SCADA to oil and gas