2016 System Integration Study: Five findings on integrating systems
Respondents to the Control Engineering 2016 System Integration Study identified five high-level findings regarding the impact of integrating systems today.
Respondents to the Control Engineering 2016 System Integration Study identified five high-level findings regarding the impact of integrating systems today:
- Project involvement: The majority of respondents (74%) perform system integration services, either in-house or to third parties; on average, these respondents reported working on 16 system integration projects per year. The remaining 26% hire system integrators and reported outsourcing an average of eight projects per year.
- Average project size: The average system integration project size that respondents are involved with is about $218,000—a decrease of 11.4% since 2015—with 17% of system integration projects valued at more than $500,000.
- On time deliverables: Over the past 12 months, an average of 72% of system integration projects respondents were involved in were on time—a 9.3% increase from 2015. Primary causes of delays fell on unexpected changes in scope, decisions, and late approvals.
- Project effectiveness: Half of respondents said automation system integration has been highly effective in their facilities or in the facilities in which they were involved, and another 42% rated it as moderately effective. Respondents traditionally measure project effectiveness by increased productivity levels (61%), on budget delivery (60%), and on time delivery (58%).
- Challenges: System integrators continue to struggle with hiring engineering talent for system integration (49%) and industry experience (40%). Other challenges include client relations (38%), a lack of communication (35%), and keeping up with changes to regulations/codes and standards (33%).
The Engineers' Choice Awards highlight some of the best new control, instrumentation and automation products as chosen by...
The System Integrator Giants program lists the top 100 system integrators among companies listed in CFE Media's Global System Integrator Database.
This eGuide illustrates solutions, applications and benefits of machine vision systems.
Learn how to increase device reliability in harsh environments and decrease unplanned system downtime.
Make Big Data and Industrial Internet of Things work for you, 2017 Engineers' Choice Finalists, Avoid control design pitfalls, Managing IIoT processes
Engineering Leaders Under 40; System integration improving packaging operation; Process sensing; PID velocity; Cybersecurity and functional safety
SCADA at the junction, Managing risk through maintenance, Moving at the speed of data
Flexible offshore fire protection; Big Data's impact on operations; Bridging the skills gap; Identifying security risks