EC: 31i-Model B CNC
Machine and embedded control - CNCs and board-level products: FANUC's 31i-Model B CNC for high-performance machines and five-axis machines is reliable, efficient, innovative, and user friendly. This is a Control Engineering 2012 Engineer’s Choice honorable mention.
FANUC's 31i-Model B CNC offers the following features:
- State-of-the-art Hardware: Ultra-high-speed processors provide fast interpolation times with up to 1000-block look-ahead, up to 4 paths and 20 axes, and up to 5 axes simultaneously.
- Nanometer precision: Unique system-wide nanometer resolution precision provides a superior surface finish quality, minimizing the need for secondary operations.
- High-speed Machining provides quality and reduced cycle times.
- Accuracy Compensation Functions: Mechanical wear, environmental conditions, or the sheer size of the machine may be corrected with compensation technology. These include: smooth backlash compensation, bidirectional and interpolated pitch error compensation, inclination and straightness compensations, thermal growth compensation, and 3D volumetric compensation.
- Reduced cycle time: Advanced software functions reduce cycle time while enhancing part accuracy and extending machine life. These include: bell-shaped acc/dec, Al contour control, nano smoothing, faster positioning, jerk control, and HRV.
- User-friendly operation and programming: Operational and programming consistency are critical to maximize the productivity of new equipment. Existing part programs will run smoothly with little or no modification. Machine setup is simplified.
- Reliability: FANUC's continuous improvement culture ensures its CNCs’ reliability. Statistically, a hardware fault occurs only once every 15 years of productive service, and FANUC has a 25-year part availability guarantee. Other features include: crash protection, prevention of operation errors, ease of maintenance, alarm and operation history, built-in backup, and automatic servo and spindle tuning.
- Connecting manufacturing to business securely and reliably through standard high-speed Ethernet interface for file transfer (through FTP) and data collection (through FOCAS). Additionally, 8 MB of nonvolatile internal memory for part program storage is provided. A USB port is also conveniently located at the operator display to provide practically unlimited storage for part programs, tool data, and parameters.
FANUC FA America
Return to the list of the 2012 Engineers' Choice honorable mentions.
View the list of the 2012 Engineers' Choice winners.
View the complete list of the 2012 Engineers' Choice finalists.
Case Study Database
Get more exposure for your case study by uploading it to the Control Engineering case study database, where end-users can identify relevant solutions and explore what the experts are doing to effectively implement a variety of technology and productivity related projects.
These case studies provide examples of how knowledgeable solution providers have used technology, processes and people to create effective and successful implementations in real-world situations. Case studies can be completed by filling out a simple online form where you can outline the project title, abstract, and full story in 1500 words or less; upload photos, videos and a logo.
Click here to visit the Case Study Database and upload your case study.