Control Engineering 2015 System Integration Study
Six system integration key findings
Respondents to the Control Engineering 2015 System Integration Study identified six high-level findings regarding the impact of integrating systems today:
- Project involvement: The majority of respondents (69%) perform system integration services, either in-house or to third parties. On average, respondents reported working on or outsourcing 15 system integration projects per year.
- Average project size: The average system integration project size that respondents are involved with is $250,000, with 19% of system integration projects valued at $500,000 or more.
- Devices integrated: Two-thirds of respondents’ firms have integrated and/or plan to integrate software; human-machine interface hardware/equipment, operator interface, etc.; and programmable logic controllers or programmable action controllers.
- On time deliverables: During the past 12 months, an average of 66% of system integration projects respondents were involved in was on time. Primary causes of delays fall on unexpected changes in scope, decisions, and late approvals.
- Project effectiveness: Forty-five percent of respondents said automation system integration has been highly effective in their facilities, and another 47% rate is as moderately effective. Respondents traditionally measure project effectiveness by return on investment, whether the project was on time/on budget, and change in productivity levels.
- Challenges: System integrators continue to struggle with hiring engineering talent for system integration and industry experience. Other challenges include a lack of communication, finding useful continuing education programs, and keeping up with competition.
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Digital Reports
- Global SI Database
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Survey Prize Winners
The Engineers' Choice Awards highlight some of the best new control, instrumentation and automation products as chosen by...
The System Integrator Giants program lists the top 100 system integrators among companies listed in CFE Media's Global System Integrator Database.
This eGuide illustrates solutions, applications and benefits of machine vision systems.
Learn how to increase device reliability in harsh environments and decrease unplanned system downtime.
Big Data and IIoT value; Monitoring Big Data; Robotics safety standards and programming; Learning about PID
Motor specification guidelines; Understanding multivariable control; Improving a safety instrumented system; 2017 Engineers' Choice Award Winners
This digital report will explore several aspects of how IIoT will transform manufacturing in the coming years.
Motion control advances and solutions can help with machine control, automated control on assembly lines, integration of robotics and automation, and machine safety.
Future of oil and gas projects; Reservoir models; The importance of SCADA to oil and gas