Electronic system design industry revenue increased
Electronic system design (ESD) industry revenue increased 17.1% year-over-year in the third quarter of 2021.
Electronic system design (ESD) industry revenue increased 17.1% year-over-year from $2,953.9 million to $3,458.1 million in Q3 2021, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced today in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 16.1%.
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 51,182 people globally in Q3 2021, an 8.7% increase over the Q3 2020 headcount of 47,087 and up 2.4% compared to Q2 2021.“The industry reported double-digit year-over-year revenue growth for Q3 2021,” said Walden C. Rhines, executive sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “Geographically, all regions reported double-digit growth, with product categories CAE, printed circuit board and multi-chip module, SIP and services also showing double-digit growth.”
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by product and application category – year-over-year change
- CAE revenue increased 13.7% to $1,054.7 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 11.8%.
- IC physical design and verification revenue increased 0.7% to $612.6 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category rose 16%.
- Printed circuit board and multi-chip module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 14.5% to $298.3 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM increased 10.9%.
- SIP revenue rose 30.6% to $1,373.3 million. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 22.1%.
- Services revenue increased 12.5% to $119.1 million. The four-quarter Services moving average increased 9.2%.
Revenue by region – year-over-year change
The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, purchased $1,494.5 million of electronic system design products and services in Q3 2021, a 14.3% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 15.8%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) revenue increased 22.6% to $451.7 million. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 11.9%.
- Japan revenue increased 11.8% to $259.8 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 3.3%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) revenue increased 19.7% to $1,252.1 million. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 21.3%.
– Edited from a SEMI press release by CFE Media. SEMI is a CFE Media and Technology content partner.