Industrial Ethernet specification with TSN
The CC-Link Partner Association (CLPA) announced the completion of the specification for CC-Link IE TSN to meet future market demands to integrate operational technology (OT) and information technology (IT).
The CC-Link Partner Association (CLPA) announced the completion of the specification for CC-Link IE TSN. CC-Link IE TSN is designed to meet future market demands and has added time-sensitive networking (TSN) technology to integrate operational technology (OT) and information technology (IT). Also, it enables flexible implementation for various types of equipment. It also utilizes IP and control communication technology.
The CC-Link IE specification has expanded its function and application scope to motion and safety control after starting with general input/output (I/O) control. Its features achieve a mixture of high-speed and large-capacity control communication (cyclic data) that combines with non-control communication (transient data). The two are able to coexist thanks to the 1 Gbps bandwidth.
Market demands for utilizing a wide range of devices that implement general-purpose Ethernet communication have increased as IIoT systems have progressed. Also, requests for high function motion control equipment and protocol implementation for various types of equipment have increased. CC-Link IE TSN is designed to meet those demands by increasing openness by utilizing TSN technology.
Four main features of CC-Link IE TSN
- Flexible IIoT system construction
- Adopts TSN Ethernet communication technology as a time-sharing method
- Enables collection of information from end devices by IP communication while securing real-time control communication
- Faster time to market and reduced downtime
- Easier network diagnosis by using general purpose Ethernet diagnostic tools compliant with SNMP
- It is easy to investigate the cause of problems thanks to time synchronization of compatible devices
- Further productivity improvement
- CC-Link IE TSN can offer a motion control operation cycle time of better than 31.25µs with improved communication performance
- Segregation of high and low performance device communication, which leads to optimized performance for all network stations and the system as a whole
- Diversification of development methods
- Offers hardware and software development methods
- Supports both 1Gbps and 100Mbps
CC-Link Partner Association (CLPA)
– Edited from a CC-Link Partner Association (CLPA) press release by CFE Media. See more Control Engineering Ethernet stories.