2016 Industrial Internet of Things, Industrie 4.0 Study
Budget, awareness, use, benefits findings from the 2016 Industrial Internet of Things and Industrie 4.0 Study; download full report.
Respondents to the 2016 Industrial Internet of Things & Industrie 4.0 study identified five key findings regarding their familiarity and implementation of the IIoT framework and Industrie 4.0 platform:
- Awareness: Familiarity with the IIoT framework and the Industrie 4.0 platform has significantly increased since 2015; 79% of respondents are very/somewhat familiar with IIoT, compared to 60% last year, and 53% are very/somewhat familiar with Industrie 4.0, compared to 33% previously.
- Existing initiatives: Four in 10 respondents have found IIoT and/or Industrie 4.0 to be helpful with existing initiatives at their facilities; 11% report no effect; 4% harmful.
- Budget: The majority of respondents and/or their clients are investing more in advanced technologies to support IIoT, Industrie 4.0, and/or digital manufacturing initiatives. In fact, an average of $213,672 is the estimated annual budget for this investment at respondents’ companies.
- Attributes: The most useful attributes of the IIoT framework, according to 80% of respondents, are the security features and interoperability/open standards connecting people, processes, and data. Interoperability is also a key advantage of the Industrie 4.0 platform, as well as the real-time capabilities and modularity.
- Expected benefits: Four in 10 respondents expect IIoT and Industrie 4.0 to improve connections between people, data, and machines; increase information flow and innovation; and improve data analysis, decisions, and data gathering capabilities.