2019 Engineers’ Choice Awards
Spotlight on innovation: Best automation, control, and instrumentation products in 26 categories.
The 32nd annual Control Engineering Engineers’ Choice Awards shines a light on 26 categories of control, instrumentation, and automation products, revealing the best of those introduced in 2018 as chosen by the Control Engineering print and digital audience. Review the winners and honorable mentions here to see if their innovative solutions can help resolve one of your most pressing problems.
Also, join us in congratulating these technological innovators. Let them know you learned about their solutions in Control Engineering, and tell them what problems you need solutions for next. Their continuous improvement ensures that manufacturers, machine builders, and automation system integrators can achieve the levels of agility, efficiency, and effectiveness necessary to compete—and win—in today’s global economy.
A total of 102 finalists from 44 companies were listed on the ballot for evaluation. Automation professionals from Control Engineering’s subscriber lists—all of whom are responsible for or influence technology purchases, or have hands-on day-to-day interaction with the technologies in each category—then voted to identify the products they felt were the most exceptional based on technological advancement, service to the industry, and market impact. The result is a short list of Engineers’ Choice Awards winners and honorable mentions in 26 categories. A total of 1 grand winner, 26 winners, and 26 honorable mentions were named for 2019.
Control Engineering staff extends appreciation to all who nominated products and took the time to vote. Find more product innovations in the New Products for Engineers Database. The 2019 Engineers’ Choice Awards will be presented to the winners on April 8, 2019, in Chicago.
2019 Engineers’ Choice Grand Award
The Grand Award—first introduced with the 2017 program—is bestowed upon the product that received the most overall votes in the 2019 program. This year’s Grand Award recipient is the Sinamics G120 Smart Access Module from Siemens.
The Sinamics G120 Smart Access module enables wireless connection of mobile devices—such as tablets, smartphones, or laptops—over Wi-Fi to the Sinamics G120, G120C, and G120P converter series. The module is easily set up using a conventional web browser and standard operating system. The web server functionality eliminates the need to download additional software. Warning signals and error messages are quickly detected over the wireless link, which can also be used to save or reset drive settings. The module includes a function that enables the settings from one drive to be copied, sent to other mobile devices, and used to commission additional drives.
2019 Engineers’ Choice Awards
Winners and Honorable Mentions by category
- Hardware – HMI, Operator Interface, Thin-Client
- Hardware – Industrial PCs
- Hardware – Industrial Tablet
- Hardware – Integrated HMI Controllers
- Industrial Cybersecurity
- Winner: SilentDefense OT Network Monitoring and Intelligence Platform, ForeScout Technologies
- Honorable Mention: mbNetfix Industrial Firewall, MB connect line
- Industrial Internet of Things Connectivity
- Machine & Embedded Control – PLCs
- Machine Sensors
- Machine Vision, Code Readers
- Winner: DataMan 470 Fixed-mount Barcode Reader, Cognex
- Honorable Mention: VisionPro ViDi Deep Learning-based Image Analysis Software, Cognex
- Motion Control
- Motion Control – Drives
- Network Integration – Ethernet Hardware
- Network Integration – Ethernet Switches
- Network Integration – I/O Systems
- Network Integration – Wireless
- Power – Energy, Power Protection, UPS
- Process Control – Process Sensors
- Winner: iTHERM TrustSens Hygienic RTD Sensor, Endress+Hauser
- Honorable Mention: Thermalert 4.0 Spot Pyrometer for Automatic Noncontact Temperature Monitoring, Fluke Process Instruments
- Process Control Systems
- Safety – Machine Safety
- Safety – Process Safety, Intrinsic Safety
- Software – Applications
- Software – Asset Management, Reporting
- Software – Control Design
- Software – Data Analytics
- Winner: AnalytiX-BI, Iconics
- Honorable Mention: Movicon Pro.Lean Functional Software to Measure Overall Efficiency Values, Progea North America
- Software – HMI Software
- Software – Industrial Internet of Things Connectivity
- Winner: KEPServerEX V6.5 Industrial Connectivity Platform, Kepware
- Honorable Mention: FactoryTalk Linx Control Products and System Data Server, Rockwell Automation