EC: SPA2IS Programmable Limit Alarm Trips with Intrinsically-Safe Field Connections
Safety — Process safety, intrinsic safety: SPA2IS is an alarm trip featuring intrinsically-safe field connections providing necessary protection typically afforded by a galvanically isolated intrinsically-safe barrier in plants/facilities where the method of protection is intrinsic safety. This is a Control Engineering 2017 Engineers’ Choice Awards Winner.
The SPA2IS is a combination alarm trip and temperature transmitter solution that includes built-in intrinsically-safe (IS) field connections for current/voltage, resistance temperature detectors (RTDs), and thermocouple.
The IS approach as a method of hazardous area protection with instrumentation is increasing globally. Instrumentation often requires the additional purchase of a separate zener or isolating barrier and power supply.
For facilities that employ intrinsic safety measures the SPA2IS includes intrinsically-safe field connections, providing the necessary protection typically afforded by a galvanically isolated intrinsically safe barrier. The SPA2IS also cuts wiring and maintenance costs by enabling users to eliminate additional barriers and power supplies, which reduces space requirements and heat dissipation or cooling considerations in barrier marshalling cabinets.
The SPA2IS is powered by a universal ac/dc power supply and provides on/off control, warns of unwanted process conditions, alarms on rate of change, and assists with or performs emergency shutdowns. It accepts a wide variety of signal inputs from transmitters and temperature sensors and provides dual and quad independent and individually-configurable alarm relay outputs when a monitored process variable falls outside of user-set high and/or low limits.
- Intrinsically-safe field connections: Apply inputs from temperature sensors or transmitters located in hazardous areas without the need for a costly intrinsically-safe barrier.
- 20-bit input resolution: Delivers industry-best digital accuracy for both sensor (RTD, thermocouple) and analog (current/voltage) inputs.
- Site- and PC-programmable: A choice of using front panel pushbuttons or Moore Industries’ Windows-based intelligent PC configuration software for fast and simple setup.
- Large 5-digit process and status readout: Shows the process variable, the output, or toggles between the two in selectable engineering units.
- Combined alarm trip and transmitter: The analog output (AO) option reduces costs and installation time when both alarm and transmitter functions are needed at the same location.
Moore Industries, www.miinet.com