Freewave adds new models to IO Expansion Wireless Data Radios
FreeWave Technologies, manufacturer of spread spectrum and licensed radios for critical data transmission, announced three additional models with several new and improved features to its IO Expansion family, in an April 5 announcement. The new additions make it easier for customers to leverage their existing hardware investments with significant performance improvements, the company said. Applications include water purification, wastewater treatment, oil and gas automation, agriculture irrigation, monitoring and control markets.
"We created our IO Expansion series to meet the needs of customers who want more I/O, but don’t want to have to purchase a new system to get the additional I/O points," explained Ken Granader, vice president of sales at FreeWave. "Based on customer feedback, we’ve continued developing new models with enhancements that make I/O Expansion available for a wider range of applications and compatible with more radios."
The IO Expansion Module is scalable, with up to 12 I/O points per module. Up to 16 modules can be stacked on the radio or base module for as many as 192 additional I/O points per 16 module stack. With the introduction of the serial base, expandable I/O points can be added to any existing serial network regardless of manufacturer. Radios are all temperature tested and 0.10% accuracy of analog input measurements across the operating temperature.
New models and additional enhancements to FreeWave’s IO Expansion family include:
• Serial Base: IOE-X-4422PC – with this model, local IO can be added to any serial equipment or serial wireless network, such as existing non-FreeWave wireless serial networks and existing PLCs or RTUs. Both solutions allow customers to increase the number of IO points without the expense of upgrading to new communication or control hardware.
• Radio Base: FGR2-IO-IOE – provides a wireless base for IO Expansion to any new or existing FGR serial network with up to 60 miles with line-of-sight (LOS).
• Expansion Module: IOE-X-4422-P – offers universally configurable IO expansion to either the Radio Base (FGR2-IO-IOE) or Serial Base (IOEX-4422PC).
The enhanced IO Expansion family is manufactured with the same quality, reliability, performance, testing and low-power consumption customers have come to expect with all FreeWave radios.
– FreeWave Technologies: New wireless IO expansion module extends RTU capabilities ;
– Control Engineering wireless feature articles at www.controleng.com/wireless .
– Industrial network news and product channel .
– I/O Modules: Product research and advice from Control Engineering subscribers .
– Edited by Mark T. Hoske, editor in chief, Control Engineering , www.controleng.com