Machine Safety blog: UL offers functional safety certification
UL is offering functional safety certification, and the Control Engineering Machine Control blog has additional comments about functional safety certification, with a place to leave your views and questions.
UL is offering functional safety certification, and the Control Engineering Machine Control has advice on functional safety certification, with a place to leave your views and questions.
In addition to evaluating products for functional safety, UL also said it would:
- Develop Validation Plans
- Develop Safety Requirements Specification (SRS)
- Develop Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Develop Failure Modes, Effects, and Diagnostic Analysis (FMEDA)
- Develop Safety Plans
- Develop Software FMEA/Software Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) Analysis
- Develop integrated test plan, including identifying appropriate environmental conditions for testing (such as humidity, EMI, vibration, etc.)
- Create safety manual
- Develop safety case, including development of risk analysis
- Draft functional safety management plan
- Calculate or verify Safety Integrity Levels (SIL), Performance Level (PL), or Class, etc.
UL will also provide:
- Functional Safety Component Recognition Mark
- Functional Safety Listing Mark
- Functional Safety Test Reports
- IEC 61508 Introductory Training
- IEC 61800-5-2 Functional Safety in Motor Drives Training
- 3-year Functional Safety Certificate
- Type examination report
Learn more from UL on functional safety.
Read the Machine Safety blog post: Functional Safety – A New "Mark" From UL.