Software for multidisciplinary engineering
The CD-adapco Star-CCM+ v8 software releases are “specifically aimed at increasing engineering productivity, making the software even easier to use and interact with, and significantly reducing the time required to get a high-quality solution," said CD-adapco senior VP product management Jean-Claude Ercolanelli, in a statement on Feb. 27.
"Star-CCM+ v8.02 is the first of our v8 releases to benefit from our investment in a dedicated user experience team, whose task is to dissect and improve every aspect of the software, resulting in more effective and more productive simulation engineers," Ercolanelli said.
"New multi-disciplinary enhancements allow users to tackle a wider range of industrially relevant challenges," continued Ercolanelli. Among these new features and enhancements is a new Star-Cast add-on, developed in collaboration with CD-adapco partner, Access, providers of casting and metallurgy tools, which “provides a comprehensive and intuitive process for performing multiphase casting simulation and brings automation and ease-of-use to casting and foundry processes," he said.
Usability related enhancements include:
• Parts-based meshing allows users to associate mesh definitions with geometric entities, resulting in greater control, better automation, and reduced turnaround time.
• New surface preparation greatly reduces the amount of time required to clean-up imported CAD geometries, particularly those that include large assemblies of components.
• JTOpen integration has the potential to cut import times from hours to minutes for large complex CAD assemblies.
• Graphic user interface (GUI) improvements.
Performance related enhancements include:
• Lagrangian and DEM dynamic load balancing improves runtimes for applications such as SCR devices, IC engines and chemical sprays by at least a factor of 2.5.
• Improvements to the AMG algorithm dramatically decreases simulation time on high processor count clusters for large scale unsteady simulations such as underhood, aerodynamic, and aeroacoustic analyses.
Expanded coverage includes:
• The Star-Cast add-on is a new streamlined casting simulation process that places industrial strength simulation technology in the hands of foundry personnel, casting designers, and tool makers.
• The Fluid Film Model can now be used with the Moving Reference Frame (MRF) model to simulate films on objects that move such as pumps and break-disks; and with the coupled solver, which is a key requirement for the aerospace industry. The model can also now be used to simulate icing and de-icing effects using a multi-component melting and solidification model.
• The Eulerian multiphase capability is improved through the addition of interphase and intraphase reactions models, used for tackling problems in the chemical and process industries.
• A new co-simulation capability through coupling with Amesim, a 1D multi-domain simulation tool, enabling simulation possibilities for hydraulics, IC engines, electro-magnetic and fuel injection systems.
CD-adapco (www.cd-adapco.com) said it is is the world’s largest independent CFD focused CAE provider. Products are simulation software packages, Star-CCM+ and Star-CD. The company also offers CAE services in fluid dynamics, heat transfer and structural engineering. The company’s stated mission is to "inspire innovation and reduce costs through the application of engineering simulation software and services." It is privately owned company and claims a 17% organic year-on-year growth over the last 5 years. CD-adapco employs 700 individuals, working at 30 offices globally. www.cd-adapco.com
– Edited by Mark T. Hoske, content manager, CFE Media, Control Engineering and Plant Engineering, email@example.com.