Software anchors Siemens’ internal and external projects
Siemens recently made separate announcements regarding its use of applications to streamline internal processes and a partnership that led to the development of software for regulatory compliance. The announcements were:
• Siemens AG’s Power Generation group signed a five-year, multimillion-dollar Global Alliance Agreement with Intergraph Corp. to standardize worldwide on Intergraph’s SmartPlant Enterprise suite of software and engineering integration technology.
• Working with system integrator EnteGreat, Siemens has developed a software tool targeted at aiding compliance with FDA Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulations.
The Intergraph agreement includes services and the SmartPlant software portfolio of Intergraph Process, Power & Marine. Applications used by Siemens range from SmartPlant Foundation for information and workflow management to engineering and design tools such as SmartPlant 3D, SmartPlant P&ID, SmartPlant Instrumentation, SmartPlant Electrical and MARIAN for material and supply management.
SmartPlant Enterprise is an engineering enterprise solution suite that is said to manage engineering information critical to physical plant assets and integrate engineering with other enterprise business and operational systems.
“We expect a further increase of productivity and quality within engineering [using SmartPlant] as well as increased collaboration from the implementation of our global work share concept. The possibility of integrating third-party software via Intergraph’s integration adapters and the use of open interfaces to support the communication with external partners provides increased opportunities for an even more efficient support of our engineering processes,” explains Frank Schnabel, head of plant engineering, Siemens Power Generation, Energy Solutions division.
HACCP compliance software developed with EnteGreat is based on Siemens’ Simatic IT MES software platform. The new software is said to provide food, beverage, and consumer packaged goods manufacturers an integrated, commercial off-the-shelf enterprise information technology for HACCP compliance.
Available worldwide, the software tool has been developed in conjunction with a leading U.S. Fortune 50 food, beverage, and CPG company.
Features of the Simatic IT tool for HACCP compliance include:
• A workflow-enabled process, with escalation based on urgency and time frame priorities;
• Data management that streamlines the management of master data in a multi-vendor IT architecture;
• Task-based work instructions to help enforce procedural compliance;
• Time, event and production-based scheduling;
• Role-based approval capabilities, supporting multi-level e-signature capability;
• Baseline record keeping for establishing product genealogy; and
• 21 CFR Part 11 compliance capabilities.
—David Greenfield, editorial director, Control Engineering